Cass Tech 3-star Kyron McKinnie-Harper recommits to CMU, turns down Toledo

fullsizerender-3
Detroit Cass Tech 2019 three-star athlete Kyron McKinnie-Harper committed to Central Michigan on Dec. 19 at Cass Tech High School. (Photo Credit: Kyron McKinnie-Harper / Twitter)

Kyron McKinnie-Harper was down to two schools – Central Michigan and Toledo.

The Detroit Cass Tech 2019 three-star athlete officially committed to join the Chippewas on Dec. 19 at his high school, and he signed his national letter of intent as well.

But it's not the first time McKinnie-Harper landed on CMU.

McKinnie-Harper initially committed to CMU on July 23. However, after the firing of head coach John Bonamego on Nov. 23, the Cass Tech prospect decommitted two days later.

"After much thought and consideration, and continuous conversation with family, I feel it is best for me to decommit from Central Michigan University," he wrote on Twitter.

Less than a month later, 24 days to be exact, McKinnie-Harper picked CMU over Toledo.

"I'm expecting to come in and compete," McKinnie-Harper said. "I'm not trying to sit, so I'll be working really hard to get on that field on Saturday." 

The 6-foot, 183-pound playmaker had offers from Toledo, CMU, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan, Iowa State, Syracuse, Temple, Washington State and Western Michigan.

McKinnie-Harper was the 16th player in the 2019 class to commit to play for CMU.

Other Cass Tech players to affirm their commitment to CMU by signing on Wednesday were three-star safety Ormondell Dingle and three-star running back Lew Nichols.

"Everyday practice communication skills with Ormondell are on point," McKinnie-Harper said. "It'll be the same way at CMU. We have some other players who are going to commit in the next few days." 

Nichols signed to play for the Chippewas over Indiana, Minnesota and Purdue – all of which are Big Ten Conference schools.

"CMU kept recruiting me, which is why I chose them over others," Nichols added.

McKinnie-Harper is ranked No. 1,720 in the nation, No. 141 at the athlete position and No. 45 in Michigan, per the 247Sports Composite.