Jeremy Groves hired as new CMU soccer coach

08_05_16soccer_7
In four seasons at Murray State, Jeremy Groves coached the Racers to three-straight Ohio Valley Conference championships. (Photo Credit: Murray State Athletics)

Just two days after agreeing to a deal with a new head football coach, Central Michigan has found its new head coach of the women's soccer program.

CMU Athletic Director Michael Alford announced the hiring of Jeremy Groves as the sixth coach in program history on Dec. 4.

"As we went through the process, it was clear what a fantastic place CMU is," Groves said. "People really care about this program; the facilities are outstanding with the new renovations and it has a top academic profile."

Groves replaces former coach Peter McGahey, who's contract was not extended at the conclusion of the 2018 season. McGahey finished with a 50-55-12 overall record at CMU. In the most recent campaign, the Chippewas went 7-12 overall and 5-6 in Mid-American Conference play.

"This program also has great history and I look forward to building on that and taking it to new highs," Groves said. "We are not only going to compete for conference championships here, we are also going to raise the profile of this program on a national front. We are going to have a program that is built around student-athlete success on and off the field."

In the 2018 season, Groves worked as a volunteer assistant coach for Kentucky. Prior, he was a four-year coach of the Murray State team from 2014-17.

The Racers were 50-21-6 during Groves' tenure and quickly became the powerhouse in the Ohio Valley Conference. From 2015-17, Murray State owned an undefeated 20-0-5 record in the OVC action under Groves.

Murray State won three-straight conference championships and two conference tournament titles. Groves was named the OVC Coach of the Year in 2015 and 2017.

From 2010-13, Groves was an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Morehead State. He also coached as an assistant for the Kentucky women's program from 2006-07 and the men's program from 2007-10.

Hailing from Leeds, England, Groves played college soccer for NAIA Virginia Intermont before transferring to Kentucky and leading the Wildcats to two conference championships. He played for Leeds United prior to taking the pitch in college.