Detroit Lions hire ex-CMU coach John Bonamego as special teams coordinator

Central Michigan head coach John Bonamego walks into Kelly/Shorts Stadium to play Maine on Sept. 22.

After being fired from the head coaching position with the Central Michigan football team, John Bonamego finds himself back in the National Football League.

Bonamego is staying in the state of Michigan as a special teams coordinator for the Detroit Lions. The Lions made the announcement on Twitter around 4 p.m. on Jan. 22.

The former Chippewa was already on staff with the Lions in the same position from 2013-14 before joining the CMU football program (2015-18). 

During his time with CMU, Bonamego earned a Mid-American Conference West Division title in 2015 and made bowl appearances in three of his four seasons in Mount Pleasant.

The Waynesboro, Pa. native has 16 years of NFL coaching experience prior to this hiring. His first job at the professional level was with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1999 as the assistant special teams coach. He was with the Green Bay Packers (2003-05), New Orleans Saints (2006-07), Miami Dolphins (2008-10) and back to the Jaguars in 2012 before his first stint in Detroit.

Mount Pleasant High School was the first landing spot for Bonamego as an assistant coach in 1987. He spent 11 years at the college level with Maine (1988-91), Lehigh (1992) and Army (1993-98). 

Bonamego earned his health and fitness degree at CMU 1987. Following a 1-11 2018 season, Bonamego was fired.

Jim McElwain was announced as the 29th CMU football coach on Dec. 3.