EDITORIAL: This year, get involved on Martin Luther King Jr. Day

rusco_mlk-1

Central Michigan University students and Mount Pleasant community members march in the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Peace March & Vigil on Jan. 15 on Washington Street. 

Central Michigan University students will not be attending classes on Monday in recognition of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Central Michigan Life will not be publishing a print edition on Monday.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a day meant not only to celebrate the life and achievements of MLK, but to promote the importance of diversity and inclusion in our society. In 2019, bringing attention to these issues is every bit as important and necessary as it was in 1986 when the national holiday was first celebrated.

To some students and community members, MLK Day is nothing more than a three day weekend – a Monday off in January. Some people argue that MLK Day is pointless now, because black Americans have the right to vote and technically have equal rights. That couldn't be less true. 

Racism and social injustice still exists. Just two months ago, someone at this university wrote a hateful and racist message on the residence hall door of two CMU students of color. Thanks to our ability to use our phones to record racist incidents and share them on social media, we have watched numerous incidents of discrimination and intimidation happen across the country. Racism is very much still an issue in our country, and it is an issue on our campus.

Central Michigan University treats MLK Day "as a day on, not a day off." On Monday, instead of sleeping in and staying home, get involved. The university's annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. CommUnity Peace March and Vigil begins at 3 p.m in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. There will also be the Community Peace Brunch at 9:30 a.m. in Finch Fieldhouse.

Next week the university is hosting several events centered around inclusion, diversity and the messages of MLK Jr. We encourage you to take advantage of this important programming.

Attend and participate. Educate yourself. Seek out a perspective that is different from your own. Learn about other people's experiences. 

Perspectives on diversity issues
Next week CMU is hosting several events centered around inclusion, diversity and the messages of MLK Jr. We encourage you to attend. Here is the list of events:

Monday, January 21, 2019
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. CommUnity Peace Brunch
Finch Field House
9:30 a.m.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
Bovee University Center
12 p.m.
Sponsored by the Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. CommUnity Peace March & Vigil
Starting at Bovee University Center Rotunda
3 p.m.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019
A Night of Reflection: Inspired Poems & Spoken Word
Bovee UC Auditorium
7 p.m.
Cosponsored by CACU and The Motions

Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Keynote Speaker: Cheryl Brown Henderson
Staples Family Concert Hall (Music Building)
7 p.m.

Thursday, January 24, 2019
"Tunnel of Oppression"
Bovee UC Maroon, Gold and Chippewa Rooms
4-8 p.m.
Sponsored by A Mile in Our Shoes (AMOS)

Friday, January 25, 2019
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Staff/Student Charity Basketball Game
Student Activities Center (Small Sports Forum)
6 p.m.