Mount Pleasant Job Fair to provide opportunities to community

a5_employment_tw_01
South Lyon sophomore Kullen Logsdon, right, is one of the many students who work on campus during the year. Logsdon recently got a job at the Real Food on Campus (RFOC) dining hall located inside the towers. He enjoys the job because they work well with his school schedule, and he gets free meals. Taryn Wattles | Assistant Photo Editor

The Mount Pleasant Job Fair will offer community members a place to find employment in multiple fields.

The Isabella County Restoration House is hosting the event on Jan. 30 between 1-4 p.m. in the auditorium of the William and Janet Strickler Nonprofit Center, which is located at 1114 W. High St.

Sherry Pulvierente, the community engagement liaison for the restoration house, said the fair is open to all community members and will provide a centralized place for people to find jobs.

“It’s an excellent place for someone to come (find a job) rather than having to keep applying online drive all over (town),” Pulvierente said. “It will be a centralized location of several businesses.”

She said businesses will be there at tables, looking to hire on the spot. There will be a variety of businesses there, including Holiday Inn, Central Michigan University Campus Dining and Isabella Bank. 

The Holiday Inn on Pickard Street just had its grand opening on Jan. 24. The hotel has been operating for about 11 weeks, but wanted to have a "soft opening" to work out all of the kinks, said General Manager Rick Rautanen.

“This a prototype of this type of hotel,” said staff member Jim Humpal regarding the new hotel. “This is the first model in the country” 

Pulvierente said this is the first time the restoration house is hosting the event and hopes people who are interested in employment can come in and make the job hunt easier.

“I hope it makes finding, applying and maintaining employment just a little bit easier,” Pulvierente said.