Multicultural Academic Student Services to host Black History Month events
Throughout the month of February, Multicultural Academic Student Services will be holding events on and off Central Michigan University’s campus for Black History Month.
Students will have the opportunity to learn about black history and culture through films, games, showcases and more.
A majority of the on-campus events will take place at the Bovee University Center. These events include the upcoming Feb. 16 Multicultural Student Leadership Conference, a program designed to help students explore multiculturalism and develop their leadership skills.
Events like these hosted by Multicultural Academic Student Services are meant to share a celebration and knowledge of many cultures, said Wade Tomson, MASS executive secretary.
"We want students to feel comfortable living in a global society," Tomson said. "It's about allowing other students to get some experience of these cultures."
All events are free and open to the public. For more information about programs available throughout the month, visit the Multicultural Academic Student Services website.
Here is a full list of events to occur this month for Black History Month:
- Hustle Lessons, every Wednesday from 12-1 p.m., Bovee University Center 108, Sponsored by the Center for Inclusion and Diversity (Punch and popcorn provided)
- Spike Lee Film Series, every Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m., Wesley Church, Sponsored by Wesley Church
Wednesday, Feb. 13
- Poetry Showcase, 7-8:30 p.m., Featuring Nobody Big Yet with special guests, Pearce 127
Saturday, Feb. 16
- Multicultural Student Leadership Conference, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Bovee University Center Rotunda
- "Making Waves for Flint" Showcase, 7 p.m., Pearce 127, Sponsored by Justus League
Monday, Feb. 18
- Black History Game Night, 7-8 p.m., Anspach 169, Sponsored by Collective Action for Cultural Unity
Thursday, Feb. 21
- Painting Chalices and Hues, 4-6 p.m. and 6:30-8 p.m., Bovee University Center 108, Center for Inclusion and Diversity (First 25 people per session)
Friday, Feb. 22
- Fashion Show, 7 p.m., Plachta Auditorium, Sponsored by Organization for Black Unity
Monday, Feb. 25
- Zuzu Acrobats, 8 p.m., Plachta Auditorium