Football recruits react to Central Michigan visit, many put Chippewas No. 1

dsovl1hwkaif1z

Muskegon (Michigan) Mona Shores 2020 QB Caden Broersma picked up an offer from Central Michigan when he visited the Chippewas on Feb. 23. (Photo Credit: Caden Broersma)

Under new coach Jim McElwain, Central Michigan football recently held its most numerous recruiting weekend since the John Bonamego era.

The Chippewas hosted 30 high schools prospects on Feb. 23, intentionally keeping it smaller than most colleges would to ensure enough time for each recruit to meet with the entire staff.

Registration and greetings from the coaching staff started off the visit at 11 a.m. It was followed by a noon presentation from McElwain and staff introductions at 12:30 p.m. The Chippewas then put the recruits through staff presentations on student-athlete support services. The last part of the visit was a trip to the facilities, photo shoot and 1-on-1 football talk.

Of the 30 recruits, Central Michigan Life caught up with nine of them.

Muskegon (Michigan) Mona Shores 2020 QB Caden Broersma:

When Broersma arrived in Mount Pleasant, he was extended an offer from CMU – his first Division I opportunity. He said the fact that the Chippewas offered first will play a key part in his recruitment.

“It felt like a weight off my shoulders for sure because that was my first one, but I’m also super excited about it," Broersma said. "The visit went great for sure, a real home feeling to the place."

The 6-foot-3, 206-pound quarterback was named to the Division 2 All-State team by the Detroit Free Press after solidifying himself as a threat throughout the 2018 season. He completed 104-of-148 passes for 1,970 yards, 20 touchdowns and just two interceptions while adding 177 carries for 1,153 yards and 19 more scores.

While he possesses the intangibles, Broersma believes he could become a great quarterback under CMU offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Charlie Frye.

"Coach Frye is great. He’s very knowledgeable and knows the game of football like the back of his hand," Broersma said. “I think I could (see myself at CMU) because I feel like, as a teacher, coach Frye could really teach me a lot about the game."

Moving forward, Broersma said the CMU coaching staff needs to continue building a relationship with him, and the two parties "coming together" throughout the recruitment process is key.

“There really isn’t anything they could do better," he said. "For me, personally, it’s just about finding the best fit for me.”

Dearborn (Michigan) 2020 3-star DT Ali Saad:

Like Broersma, Saad picked up an offer from the Chippewas on his visit. The only other offer he currently possesses is to Western Michigan.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive tackle spent most of his time in Mount Pleasant with defensive line coach Justin Hinds, a recent addition to McElwain's staff.

“He’s a great coach," Saad said. "He really gets excited meeting new athletes, so he really made me enjoy my visit. What makes him different than other coaches are that he really believes in me and seems like that coach I can trust throughout the process.”

While Saad was at CMU, he said the coaching staff treated him like he was at home. Right now, he added it's too early to rank CMU and Western Michigan on his offer sheet.

Saad made it clear there is nothing else CMU has to do in order to secure his commitment because he's just not ready to make a verbal pledge anytime soon.

“I want to wait before I commit anywhere because it’s still early for me," Saad said. "I still got a long way to go before deciding what school I want to commit to."

The rising prospect made 52 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, eight sacks and one forced fumble as a junior for Dearborn High School in 2018.

Saad is rated No. 1,023 in the nation, No. 73 at defensive tackle and No. 32 in Michigan, per the 247Sports rankings.

Utica (Michigan) Eisenhower 2021 OG Dalton Dueweke:

In the class of 2021, Dueweke is listed as an offensive guard but also plays defensive tackle – meaning he spent time on the visit with both Hinds and offensive line coach Mike Cummings.

"I enjoyed my time meeting with all the coaching staff and touring the athletic facility," Dueweke said. "Meeting coach Cummings and coach Hinds was awesome. They made Central feel just like home. I’m grateful to have a chance to get recruitment by them.”

Since CMU offered on Jan. 18, it has been the No. 1 program on Dueweke's list. He said the Chippewas stand out due to their "family mentality" and "desire to want to get better."

However, there's still more McElwain and his staff can do to secure a commitment from the 2021 two-way prospect.

“I definitely want to get out to a spring practice to see how practice is run and the vibe of everything," Dueweke said. "I’d like to see a home game and see how the atmosphere is like at a game.”

Wyandotte (Michigan) 2021 QB Jalin Pitchford:

The Chippewas were the first to offer Pitchford, and he responded by making a trip to Mount Pleasant less than a month later. 

"I am glad I had a chance to meet with every coach 1-on-1," Pitchford said. "Coach McElwain and the rest of the staff gave off positive vibes, and I loved how it was all smiles and laughter filling the room at all times."

As a quarterback, most of Pitchford's time spent at CMU was with Frye, the quarterbacks coach. Frye played in the NFL for the Cleveland Browns (2005-07), Seattle Seahawks (2007-08) and Oakland Raiders (2009).

During his sophomore 2018 season at Roosevelt High School, the 6-foot, 193-pound dual-threat quarterback completed 62-of-143 passes for 1,142 yards, 14 touchdowns and two interceptions. He added 76 carries for 299 yards and two scores.

“Coach Frye was one of the first I saw when I arrived, and we had a great 1-on-1 conversation," Pitchford said. "He helped kick off my first experience at CMU. Coach Frye, coach McElwain and the rest of CMU are the real deal. I can’t wait to get back.”

Since the recruiting process is new, Pitchford wants to focus on improving his game before even thinking about how he wants CMU to recruit him. However, he said he plans to get back for the annual spring game on April 13.

"Hopefully, (I'll) see a bit more of campus since the snow will be gone by then," Pitchford said.

West Bloomfield (Michigan) Waterford Mott 2020 3-star WR Christian Fitzpatrick:

Twelve offers are the current total for Fitzpatrick – Ball State, Boston College, CMU, Florida Atlantic, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Louisville, Oregon, Purdue, Syracuse and Toledo.

His brother, Des Fitzpatrick, is a redshirt junior receiver at Louisville. He caught 45 passes for 699 yards and nine touchdowns in 2017 before only making three touchdowns in 2018.

However, the slew of Power Five offers and already present relationship with Louisville doesn't mean the Chippewas are out of the race. As a matter of fact, things are just heating up.

“It was a good visit that was really focused on us getting to know the new coaches," Fitzpatrick said.

Since Fitzpatrick is a wide receiver from Waterford Mott High School, he spent a lot of time with CMU wide receivers coach Kevin Barbay. Prior to joining the Chippewas, Barbay was the director of player development at Florida (2015-17) and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Stephen F. Austin (2018).

"Coach Barbay is really cool and knows his stuff for sure,"  Fitzpatrick said. "Him playing and coaching quarterbacks also gives a new side to see it from."

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound receiver said it's still early, but he should start to trim down his list near the summer.

"I will really know the staff and more about the offense by then," he said.

The key aspects Fitzpatrick wants CMU to exploit in his recruitment are building relationships and familiarity.

"Just continue to build a relationship because that’s definitely key," he said. "It feels like home because of how close it is, and I’ve been there a few times so it’s familiar.”

Fitzpatrick is ranked No. 443 in the nation, No. 82 at wide receiver and No. 12 in Michigan, according to the 247Sports Composite ratings.

Grand Blanc (Michigan) 2020 CB Myles McNeal:

McNeal, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound cornerback, had a breakout season in 2018, and CMU's coaching staff clearly took notice – extending him his first Division I offer on Dec. 12.

Since then, he's added offers from Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan.

And on his Feb. 23 visit, McNeal had the chance to meet new safeties coach Ryan Beard, who spent the last two seasons as Louisville's defensive backs coach.

"The whole coaching staff was really cool," McNeal said. "Coach Beard is a good guy. He’s filled with knowledge. He’s got confidence, for sure. He seems a bit younger, so he can kind of relate to the players a little more.”

McNeal also sat down with defensive coordinator Robb Akey, who is set to take charge of the Chippewas defense in 2019.

"He talked a little bit about the defense they like to run," McNeal said. "He’s cool and has all the energy in the world. I can tell he’s very passionate about what he does.”

Of his three offers, McNeal said he is "very interested" in CMU, but McElwain's group is tied with Eastern Michigan at the top. Eastern Michigan's culture stands out to McNeal.

"I like trust," McNeal said. "I just ask them to be real and be themselves throughout the recruiting process, so I’ll know if it’s the right fit."

Indianapolis (Indiana) Lawrence Central 2020 LB Daveren Rayner:

Rayner is listed as a safety, but succeeding a trip to CMU, the coaching staff wants him to play outside linebacker in Mount Pleasant.

Since he's slated as a linebacker on CMU's recruiting board, he met with linebackers coach Mark DeBastiani. At Alabama A&M in 2018, DeBastiani's defensive unit ranked second in points allowed and third in total yardage amongst others in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

"Meeting with coach DeBastiani was nice," Rayner said. "He answered a lot of my questions and his hospitality to me and my parents was great."

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound prospect has offers from Ball State, CMU, Eastern Michigan and Miami (Ohio).

"I love the love that CMU has shown me, from being my first offer to today," Rayner said. "They rank pretty high with me. I started making my second round of visits and, after today, it’s a must to get back on campus."

Rayner said he plans to return to CMU for future visits in order to see the entire campus. He has trips to Purdue and Indiana set for late March and early April, respectively.

In order for CMU to pull a commitment from Rayner, he needs to feel comfortable with the entire Mount Pleasant arena – not just the football program.

"I would have to see more of campus obviously, but I think I would have to meet some of the people in Mount Pleasant. I can’t surround myself with people that aren’t good people, so definitely seeing and meeting the people on and around campus.”

Ann Arbor (Michigan) Pioneer 2021 QB Conor Easthope:

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound quarterback picked up an offer from CMU on Jan. 15 and made the near two-hour drive just a week later for a visit.

"Right away, everyone made me feel right at home," Easthope said. "The new coaching staff was amazing to my mom and me. I think they are truly building something special in Mount Pleasant.”

Easthope, as a quarterback, spent most of his time with Frye, who he claimed was "very knowledgeable and an "expert" of the quarterback position.

"I could tell he was a great coach," Easthope said. "He brings that NFL experience, which is an amazing thing to have in a coach.”

The Pioneer High School prospect plans to get back to CMU for a spring practice and some home games during the 2019 season.

"I'll play football anywhere I get an opportunity, so I do see myself playing for CMU one day," Easthope said. "I think that coaching staff would make me a better player and person in the long run.”

Belleville (Michigan) 2020 3-star WR Jalen Williams:

Williams has offers from Alabama A&M, CMU, Miami (Ohio) and Toledo. In order for CMU to sell him on the program, he's asking for more communication.

"At least once a week," Williams said of how often he wants to hear from the Chippewas. "It shows me you are interested and haven’t forgotten about me."

The 6-foot-4, 180-pound prospect said he had a "great" visit to CMU but most enjoyed hanging out with Barbay.

"You can tell he loves his players but business always comes first," Williams said of Barbay. "He is serious about his job and loves it."

Williams said he would "love to play" for Frye and Barbay since the entire coaching staff works as one unit. If he ends up in Mount Pleasant, Williams believes he will create a legacy for himself.

"I know I can," he said. "That's just my mindset."

Williams is ranked No. 1,096 in the nation, No. 169 at wide receiver and No. 33 in Michigan, per the 247Sports ratings.