Central Michigan Pro Day set for March 14, several Chippewas to return

Central Michigan cornerback Sean Bunting walks into Kelly/Shorts Stadium for CMU's game against Maine on Sept. 22, 2018.

Central Michigan football's annual Pro Day is set for March 14, and a multitude of Chippewas are planning a return to Mount Pleasant for the event.

Those confirmed to return and participate are cornerback Sean Bunting, cornerback Xavier Crawford, safety Tyjuan Swain, linebacker Malik Fountain, linebacker Alex Briones, defensive tackle Marcus Griffin and offensive guard Shakir Carr. 

Ferris State wide receiver Keyondre Craig is also set to attend.

Former CMU defensive tackle Nathan Brisson-Fast and defensive end Mitch Stanitzek will be at Pro Day but are not competing.

Pro Day gives players a chance to display their talents in front of National Football League and Canadian Football League scouts.

CMU's March 14 Pro Day has been confirmed by the athletic department, but it has not yet been announced.

Sean Bunting

Since the conclusion of CMU's 2018 season, Bunting has been in Irvine, California training with Rep1 Sports.

Bunting, who left school as a junior to pursue the NFL, played in 35 games total for the Chippewas. He logged 104 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, nine interceptions, one fumble recovery and four forced fumbles.

The 6-foot-1, 181-pound cornerback recently accepted an invitation to participate in the 2019 NFL Draft Combine, which takes place from Feb. 26 to March 4 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Right after the combine, Bunting plans to come back to Mount Pleasant for Pro Day on March 14.

"I'm really looking forward to being able to showcasing my talents one last time at CMU," Bunting said. "Also just being back around my brothers and being able to give them some of the knowledge that I learned and developed while training in a different environment."

USA Today's first mock draft has Bunting headed to play for the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round (148th overall).

Here's what The Draft Network analyst Kyle Crabbs has to say about Bunting's abilities:

"Sean Bunting projects as a high ceiling prospect, but one who will require a fair amount of development to reach his ceiling as a prospect. Bunting has great physical gifts and the needed length to be a terror from the hip, but he can be too loose at the LOS and can be late to find the football in turn and run coverage. Bunting is currently best in bail technique, so a Cover-3 system would get the most out of Bunting in the immediate future. Potential long term starter at CB."

A few Rep1 Sports clients are Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff, Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota, Minnesota Vikings running back Latavius Murray, Atlanta Falcons cornerback Isaiah Oliver, Dallas Cowboys cornerback Chidobe Awuzie, Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner, Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Brandin Cooks and many other NFL stars.

Central Michigan cornerback Xavier Crawford walks into Kelly/Shorts Stadium for CMU's game against Maine on Sept. 22, 2018.

Xavier Crawford

Crawford made his decision to give up his final year of college football eligibility to enter the 2019 NFL Draft on Dec. 3. He already graduated from Oregon State and was set to have two years for the Chippewas – 2018 and 2019.

Right now, the cornerback doesn't have a ton of draft projections. However, he's been training in Calabasas, California with Select Sports Group since the conclusion of CMU's 1-11 campaign in 2018. 

He is set to return for Pro Day on March 14. Like Bunting, Crawford also accepted an invitation to participate in the 2019 NFL Draft Combine.

"My time here has definitely had an impact on me and helped me grow as a man and a football player," Crawford said of CMU.

Crawford took a redshirt in his first year at Oregon State and immediately found the field in 2016 as a redshirt freshman. He logged 70 tackles, two tackles for a loss, one sack, 10 passes defended and one forced fumble.

In 2017, he registered 17 tackles and two passes defended in five games before going down with a season-ending back injury. Graduating from Oregon State in just three years, Crawford made the move to CMU as a graduate transfer.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound defensive pack posted 24 tackles, three tackles for a loss, one interception, 12 passes defended and two fumble recoveries for the Chippewas.

Crawford ranked No. 1 in the Mid-American Conference for his 12 passes defended. He was a First Team All-MAC defensive player. 

He finished his collegiate career with 111 tackles, five tackles for a loss, one sack, two interceptions, 24 passes defended, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.

Central Michigan​ safety Tyjuan Swain warms up at Kelly/Shorts Stadium for CMU's game against Maine on Sept. 22, 2018.

Tyjuan Swain

Swain, a 6-foot, 193-pound safety, came to CMU prior to the 2017 season from College of DuPage, an NJCAA program.

In his junior season, Swain made 10 tackles and one interception as a first-year Chippewa. In 2018, he was limited to five games due to a back injury. He managed just 15 tackles.

"I am 100 percent now," Swain said. "I feel slept on."

With academic standards holding him back from playing Division I football straight out of high school, Swain spent 2014-2016 at College of DuPage.

Now, he's gearing up for Pro Day on March 14 in Mount Pleasant. Swain's been training at G3 Powerhouse in Aurora, Illinois since the end of CMU's 2018 season.

"I'm looking forward to being on the same field with my teammates one last time," Swain said. "Also, just being able to exhibit my talents to NFL scouts."

Central Michigan​ linebacker Malik Fountain walks into Kelly/Shorts Stadium for CMU's game against Maine on Sept. 22, 2018.

Malik Fountain

Fountain was named to the All-MAC First Team defense as a linebacker in the 2018 season. He made 51 career starts in his four-year CMU career, tying him for the second most in program history.

From 2015-18, Fountain made 399 tackles, 25 tackles for a loss, one sack, two interceptions, six passes defended, one fumble recovery and three forced fumbles.

Fountain, in 2018 alone, racked up 153 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, one sack, two interceptions, two passes defended and one forced fumble.

Of his impressive 2018 numbers, the 6-foot-2, 230-pound star led the MAC in total tackles, solo tackles and tackles per game with 12.9.

Returning to Mount Pleasant for CMU Pro Day on March 14, Fountain aims to prove all doubters wrong.

"It's an opportunity to show how much work I put in front of scouts, friends, and my family," Fountain said. "I’m a much harder worker than what was previously said."

Since the conclusion of CMU's season, Fountain has been training at Corey Taylor Sports Performance in Louisville, Kentucky.

Central Michigan linebacker Alex Briones walks into Spartan Stadium on Sept. 29, 2018, to play Michigan State in East Lansing.

Alex Briones

Briones, a four-year linebacker for the Chippewas, has spent the recent months training at AdvantEdge Sports in Marquette, Michigan. 

He will return to Mount Pleasant in a few months for Pro Day.

"I’m really looking forward to showcase the hard work I’ve been putting in leading up to Pro Day," Briones said. "This is something I’ve been waiting for my whole life. I’m excited to turn some heads."

The 6-foot-2, 228 pounder played just three games as a freshman in 2015. From 2016-18, Briones worked as a full-time starter at linebacker. He's made 199 tackles, 17 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions, three passes defended, four fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles in his CMU career.

Briones, hailing from Ishpeming in the Upper Peninsula, was an underrated prospect out of high school. He was given his only Division I offer from CMU on Dec. 19, 2013, and he committed on the spot.

Two coaches ago, Dan Enos, brought Briones on as a quarterback. Once now-former coach John Bonamego took the job in 2015, he turned the signal caller into a linebacker.

Working out with Briones in Marquette is Craig, a now-graduate star at Ferris State. Briones said Craig will attend CMU's Pro Day in March to display his talents as a Division II prospect.

In 2018, Craig helped pace the Bulldogs to the Division II national championship game. He logged 719 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Briones and Craig are working out with Marcus Tucker, an NFL wide receiver who is currently a free agent. Tucker attended Northern Michigan and signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2016. 

Tucker was waived by the Steelers on Sept. 1, 2018.

Central Michigan defensive tackle Marcus Griffin walks into Kelly/Shorts Stadium for CMU's game against Maine on Sept. 22, 2018.

Marcus Griffin

Once the 2018 season ended, Griffin was diagnosed with a labrum tear in his left shoulder. He's been rehabilitating and training at Kutting Edge Fitness in Kirkland, Washington.

Griffin said he should be 100 percent by the time Pro Day comes around on March 14. His goal is to make "some heads spin" while performing for scouts.

"For me honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress I’ve made while training at home," Griffin said. "I got blessed with a great team of trainers and well as personal trainers. 

"Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing all the guys on the team and connecting with the new staff."

Griffin was a graduate transfer for the 2018 season after spending the majority of his college career at Arizona.

In the 2017 season, Griffin logged just two tackles on the season but earned a considerable amount of playing time. Over his career with the Wildcats, the 6-foot-3, 305 pounder registered five total tackles.

Griffin took an official visit to CMU on Feb. 17 and announced his decision to transfer to the Chippewas on Jan. 2. He was a four-star prospect out of Bellevue High School in Washington.

For CMU this past season, Griffin made 12 tackles and one tackle for a loss.

Central Michigan offensive lineman Shakir Carr walks into Kelly/Shorts Stadium for CMU's game against Maine on Sept. 22, 2018.

Shakir Carr

The 6-foot-4, 308-pound offensive lineman redshirted in 2014 and quickly became a star on the offensive line for the Chippewas from 2015-18. As a fifth-year senior, Carr was a team captain and started all 12 games at left guard.

He earned CMU's Offensive Up-Front Player of the Year award.

Since Carr's departure from CMU, he began training at Performance One in Niles, Michigan.

"I'm looking forward to my hard work paying off," Carr said of attending Pro Day.

In 2017, he saw time at right guard (four games), left guard (three games) and right tackle (one game).

Carr is originally from South Bend, Indiana. He went to Clay High School and was a three-star prospect out of high school. He had offers from Western Michigan, Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan and Miami (Ohio).

Originally, Carr sided with the Broncos but later flipped to CMU before national signing day. He was the No. 121 offensive tackle in the 2013 class.

Nathan Brisson-Fast, Mitch Stanitzek

Near the end of CMU's 35-10 loss to Western Michigan on Oct. 2, Brisson-Fast took a hit from an opposing player and the impact caught him off balance.

The result was a knee injury which required surgery two days later, on Oct. 22. Since then, Brisson-Fast has been on the road to recovery.

Brisson-Fast is not expected to compete at Pro Day, but he is anticipated to hang out at the Indoor Athletic Complex and support his teammates.

In his CMU career, Brisson-Fast made 82 tackles, 18.5 tackles for a loss, nine sacks, four passes defended, one fumble recovery and three forced fumbles.

Stanitzek, like Brisson-Fast, is also confirmed to be in attendance at Pro Day. However, he will not participate in events.

"I’m just coming back to watch my teammates," said Stanitzek, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive end.

Throughout his career, Stanitzek made 94 tackles, 17 tackles for a loss, 8.5 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.