Kevin McKay named MAC West Player of the Week

mens-bb-vs-kent-state14
Junior guard Kevin McKay guards his Kent State opponent on Feb. 19 at McGuirk Arena.

Kevin McKay of Central Michigan has been named the Mid-American Conference West Division Player of the Week in men's basketball.

The junior guard from Warren played a critical role in the Chippewas' victories over Kent State at home on Feb. 19 and Feb. 23 at Ball State. He averaged 14.5 points and 14 rebounds in those victories to lead CMU. 

McKay poured in 12 points and secured nine rebounds for a near double-double and added a career-high four blocks as CMU defeated the Golden Flashes 84-74. 

In the Chippewas road game against the Cardinals, McKay stepped into a major spot as senior guard Shawn Roundtree Jr. was sidelined due to an injury for the second half. Meanwhile, junior forward David DiLeo was limited in the game due to illness. 

McKay filled the void by putting together a double-double with 17 points, a career-high 19 rebounds (seven offensive) to help the Chippewas earn a 64-57 comeback victory over the Cardinals.

That double-double was the 11th of McKay's career and sixth of the season. McKay is just one of three guards in Division I to grab 19 rebounds in a game and is second in the country in offensive rebounds for a guard. He averages 3.3 per game. 

Last week's wins brought the Chippewas to within a game of Toledo in the MAC West Division standings. CMU is currently 19-8, 8-6 MAC and heads to Eastern Michigan on Feb. 26. 

McKay and the Chippewas play host to the Rockets March 2 in McGuirk Arena.