CMUPD sees decrease in marijuana reports since Michigan legalization

seedling-1062908_1920

The Central Michigan University Police Department has seen a decrease in reports of marijuana on campus since its legalization in the state of Michigan after Proposal 1 passed at the midterm elections. 

This week, they only received two calls about students with weed on campus or the odor of marijuana. 

“To be honest, we’ve seen a decrease in calls regarding (marijuana on campus),” said CMUPD Lt. Cameron Wassman. “I’m hopeful since CMU has been educating students on what the law change means and that it means students can’t smoke on campus. Our policies need to be followed. Hopefully, that’s the reason there are fewer reports.”

Late at night on Feb. 13, officers were dispatched to Wheeler Hall with reports of an odor of marijuana. Officers made contact with two males and one female, all 18 years olds, who were in their dorm room. Officers found two marijuana cigarettes and an empty alcohol bottle. The two cigarettes equaled about 2.5 grams. No criminal charges were filed and the case was transferred to the office of student conduct. 

Another account of marijuana on campus occurred at about 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 16, when CMUPD officers were dispatched to Fabiano Hall for the odor of marijuana. 

Officers made contact with the 19-year-old male who turned over 4.9 grams of marijuana. He was issued a citation for being a minor in possession. 

The CMU marijuana policy states “the use of recreational or medicinal marijuana in any form, including edibles and extracts, remains prohibited by university policy and federal law. CMU policies have not changed since the law took effect.

“CMU policies and federal law prohibit anyone from using, possessing or distributing marijuana on CMU property or at any CMU events, including CMU travel.“

Along with officers confronting marijuana on campus, officers have been dispatched to other incidents around campus and Mount Pleasant:

• At 4:55 p.m. on Feb. 11, officers were contacted by residence life for a welfare check. A 19-year-old female student was reported of acting “out of sorts” and was expressing irate emotional behavior. She was transferred to Mid Michigan Health for an evaluation. 
  • At 1:45 a.m. on Feb.16, officers were dispatched to the Shell gas station on the corner of High Street and Mission Street for an assault complaint. 
  • Reports showed that a 21-year-old female was physically assaulted by her 21-year-old boyfriend. The male was arrested and sent to jail. The female reported minor injuries.  
  • Around midnight on Feb. 16, officers were sent to Barnes Hall about a complaint of an intoxicated 21-year-old male. Reports said he was misbehaving and was transferred to McLaren Hospital for excessive alcohol consumption. While at the hospital, he was causing a disturbance and was attempting to leave. He was treated and released from the hospital, but arrested for disorderly conduct and taken to jail.