Third installment of 'Conversations that Matter' series to be held on Feb. 6

“Changing Family Roles, Dynamics, and Expectations" workshop will address changing families

ode-conversations-that-matter-10

Participants discuss their personal experience with immigration at the Office for Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion's "Conversations that Matter" event on Oct. 22 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

“Changing Family Roles, Dynamics, and Expectations," the third installment in the "Conversations that Matter" series will take place Feb. 6 at 5 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Rotunda Room. 

The workshop will address the topic of changing families, whether it be ethnically, racially, religiously and stylistically, and families with different gender roles, relationships and parenting styles.

"The definition of what it means to be family is diversifying. We are encouraging others to think about how this is shaping their views on life and family," said Lauren Grotkowsi, graduate assistant for the Office of Diversity Education. "We hope this conversation allows participants to reflect inwardly on what family means to them, while also reflectively listening to new perspectives from a diverse group of participants." 

When attendees arrive, they will be assigned to a table that will have written questions and an inter-group dialogue facilitator. Every participant will have an opportunity to share opinions with the group before convening with other tables to discuss the overall themes of the night. 

The workshop series encourages dialogue about important subjects within a diverse group of individuals. Last October, the Office of Diversity Education held its first “Conversations that Matter” discussion.

“Our intention is really to hear from each other,” Chief Diversity Officer A.T. Miller said at the event. “Very few people here are experts, but all of us are people with an interest, or a connection, in some way with this issue.”

The event is free and catered. All attendees must RSVP to Lauren Grotkowsi at ode@cmich.edu. For more details, you visit the events page here.