Defensive backs coach Cory Hall no longer with CMU

Defensive backs coach Cory Hall was hired prior to the 2018 season. He is no longer with Central Michigan.

UPDATE: Acquired in a Freedom of Information Act request, Central Michigan defensive backs coach Cory Hall emailed Jim McElwain on Feb. 16 to explain his decision to leave the Chippewas, effective March 2.

"If I can be of assistance during this transition, please let me know," Hall wrote in his email to McElwain.

-----------------------------

Defensive backs coach Cory Hall was slated to be one of the 10 assistant coaches working under Jim McElwain at Central Michigan in 2019.

Now, Hall is no longer with the program.

In the 2018 campaign under former coach John Bonamego, Hall was responsible for Xavier Crawford and Sean Bunting – two cornerbacks participating in the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine.

Hall was hired by Bonamego in March 2018 and, just less than a year later, is not on staff with McElwain at the helm.

Tight ends coach Tavita Thompson is the only position coach to make it through the transition from Bonamego to McElwain.

On Feb. 26, Washington Redskins assistant defensive backs coach James Rowe posted on social media that David Rowe was hired as the new cornerbacks coach at CMU.

With 10 assistants already on staff, one person close to the situation informed Central Michigan Life that Hall would not be returning for the 2019 season.

Harper Woods sophomore offensive guard Davion Weatherspoon was one of 30 high school recruits at CMU on Feb. 23. He told CM Life that he spent time with Rowe on his visit.

"Coach Rowe was a very cool coach, just like the rest of the coaching staff," Weatherspoon said. "He is very fun to talk to."

Rowe was most recently at Division II Valdosta State, where he was named the defensive backs coach beginning in the 2017 season. In 2018, the Blazers won the NCAA Division II Football Championship over Ferris State, 49-47.

He spent time as a graduate assistant cornerbacks coach at Western Michigan from 2014-16.

Hall played college football at Fresno State from 1995-98 and spent six seasons in the NFL with the Cincinnati Bengals and Atlanta Falcons. He spent two seasons, 2016-17, as the cornerbacks coach for Oregon State. For the final six games of the 2017 season, Hall was the interim head coach for the Beavers.