English department event to discuss George Robinson's media network in the 1790s

19293_logot

"Distributing Justice: George Robinson's Media Network in the 1790s" will be presented at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21 in the Central Michigan University Bovee University Center Lake Michigan Room.

The presentation will be given by english language and literature professor Joellen DeLucia.

"I was asked to give a talk on the research I did over my sabbatical," DeLucia said. "I spent my sabbatical (Spring 2018) studying media history and print culture in eighteenth-century Britain."

The presentation will focus on George Robinson's development of media channels and other formats of prints. 

George Robinson conducted the largest wholesale book business in the English-speaking world, trading throughout Great Britain, North America and Europe, according to the CMU events page.

The event is sponsored by the english language and literature department, and it is one of a series of talks planned for this semester that will feature faculty from the department.

It was organized by english language and literature faculty Jeffrey Weinstock and the department's public relations committee, DeLucia said. 

The event is free and opened to the public.

"Students who are interested in media’s influence on our world and our perceptions would be interested in this event," DeLucia said. "The presentation will feature new research on media history and consider how media intersects with politics and the arts."