'Soup and Substance' offers safe space to talk about racism

soup-pic
Panelists speak at the "Soup and Substance" event Feb. 19 in the Bovee University Center.

Racism tends to make people uncomfortable, which is exactly why sociology faculty Dusty Myers said, “Race is an explosive issue.” 

His comment started off an hour-long discussion for a group of students about issues of racism and prejudice Feb. 19 in the Bovee University Center. The talk was part of the event series, “Soup and Substance,” which aims to present diverse perspectives for students and to provide free soup and rolls to attendees. 

The discussion was led by a panel of five speakers from a variety of disciplines. Those members included former U.S. Ambassador to South Africa, Delano Lewis, as well as his son Jeff Lewis, english language and literature faculty Maureen Eke, political science faculty Sterling Johnson, Myers, and political science faculrt David Rutledge.

The speakers provided five unique perspectives on issues of diversity. The theme of the discussion was unity and coming together to fight against prejudice attitudes. 

Delano Lewis urged audience members to share his views.

“We need to get beyond these labels that we put on people and begin to look at people, for people," he said.

Lewis further explained that people should learn these values from their parents, school teachers, and from the broader society – but they are not.

The panel pointed out that racism is not simply a black and white issue, but that it happens in all walks of life.

Rutledge questioned the panelists about the future and what action can be taken. 

Eke responded that there is hope as long as people continue to discuss the issue. She expressed gratitude to those who attended the event, and was passionate about students of color, as well as white students, coming together to raise awareness. 

After the panel, concluded Traverse City junior Kevin Goodwin shared his thoughts about the discussion and issues of diversity on campus. 

“It opened my eyes a little bit to everything that was going on and opportunities people have to make a difference," he said. 

While Goodwin said he has not personally noticed racism on campus, he believes it could be due to a lack of raising awareness. 

Also in attendance was National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) President Australyah Coleman from Grand Rapids Michigan. 

“As a student of color, we’ve been targeted in the past 4 months in the dorm rooms and on campus in general," she said. 

Coleman is a campus leader and advocate for equality. She questioned faculty on the panel about their efforts to assist students of color in their fight against racism on campus. 

She encouraged others to join her and a committee of students that meet every other Thursday night in Anspach 152 from 7:30-8:30 pm to advocate for equality and racial justice on campus.