Annual 'Rubber Duck Derby' to make a splash at Soaring Eagle March 26

pr-8-1-of-1

Mount Pleasant community members watch PR Central's Rubber Duck Derby March 28, 2018 at the Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel. 

Nearly 2,000 rubber ducks will race down a waterslide and through the lazy river at the Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel at 10 p.m. on March 26 for the 7th annual PR Central "Rubber Duck Derby."

Rubber ducks can be purchased for $2 for the race. The ducks can be bought from PR Central Members, from an online form or at the Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel on March 26 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The owners of the first three ducks to win will receive prizes. The first place prize is $500, the second place prize is a two-night stay at the Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel with water park passes and the third place prize is a CMU Swag Pack donated by the CMU Bookstore. 

“It doesn’t take long so it’s not a huge time commitment to come and watch,” said North Branch senior Kelci Gormley, vice president of PR Central. “Once the ducks start racing it’s literally three minutes.”

Participants do not need to be present to win. They are able to watch the derby through Facebook Live.

A silent auction will be taking place at the same time as the derby in the waterpark lobby. The silent auction will have many different items including gift cards for Mount Pleasant businesses collected by PR Central members. 

The silent auction items can be bid on online through the PR Central Facebook page.

The event is sponsored by the Public Relations Student Society of America. The money raised from the derby and silent auction will go towards the funding of student scholarships to attend the PRSSA National Conference every year.

“I think it’s a really unique event no other group on campus really does,” Gromley said. “This event has grown every year from the first year that they have done it."