Graphic design students present homelessness exhibition at University Art Gallery

Design students pose for a photo in celebration of their hard work in At the Threshold: a closer look at homelessness, CMU Graphic Design's capstone class at the University Art Gallery March 30.

Seventeen Central Michigan University graphic design students presented their capstone project "At the Threshold: A Closer Look at Homelessness," March 30 at the University Art Gallery. 

The exhibition, which is free and open to the public, will be open for display until April 13. 

Even before their capstone class began in Spring 2019, these 17 students, in collaboration with a faculty mentor, decided to use the project and the gallery space to educate viewers about this year's topic: Homelessness. 

Over winter break, the students conducted research about homeless populations nationally, state-wide and locally. They collected interviews from residents at the Isabella County Restoration House (ICRH).

“We know that we can’t solve homelessness with one gallery show, but we’re trying to create awareness that it can happen to anyone and shed light on the topic,” said Warren senior Jenna Brown. 

For six hours each week, these students designed and redesigned exhibits that would make people stop and look. They identified and deconstructed stereotypes that are commonly associated with the homeless, the resources available and how people can help. 

“Through art, through something that’s visually appealing, people can actually pay attention,” said senior Rachel LaFrance. “We want to showcase our art and how we can do it, but we also wanted to make it impactful.”

Ruthann Bajorek, from Rochester Hills, attended the exhibition to support her goddaughter. She was emotional as she was reading the stories of the homeless. 

“I had no idea it was going to be this impactful," she said. "There’s a lot of stuff here more people need to see.” 

Jonathan Russell, CMU graphic design faculty, led the students in putting together their capstone. 

“One of the main goals of this project was not just to create awareness, but to create a call to action so that when people walk away, they can have something to do,” he said. 

In honor of this exhibition, the University Art Gallery is collecting non-perishable foods, such as soup and boxed side dishes, as well as sanitary products until the conclusion of the exhibit on April 13. All donations will go directly to the Compassion Care Network to aid the needy in Isabella County. 

The University Art Gallery is open Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., located at the corner of Franklin Street and Preston Street.