'Big Man on Campus' event to allow men to speak about toxic masculinity

19293_logot

The Office of LGBTQ Services will host an event to discuss toxic masculinity titled "Big Man on Campus" at 6 p.m. March 26 in the Bovee University Center Mackinaw room. 

The goal of the event is to give attendees the ability to understand who they are, how toxic masculinity affects them and give all participants the skills needed to talk about this issue in everyday life. 

Participants will have a substantial role in determining the topics talked about in the event’s open discussion. The event will begin with a hands-on activity that will eventually lead to group discussion. 

“An important part of understanding gender norms is acknowledging our role in perpetuating these inequalities,” said Houghton Lake senior Michael Ignat, LGBTQ Services programming intern. “I think any good institution should concern itself with rape culture and relationship violence. Toxic masculinity plays a massive role in these issues.”

Ignat said he believes this event will differ from other campus events that have spoke about toxic masculinity because men will be able to open up about this issue and share their viewpoints openly with the audience. 

“I think this will be different from other events because a panel isn’t talking at men,” he said. “Men will have space to discuss personal experiences and cognitive dissonance surrounding masculinity.”

Ignat said he hopes that the event will help attendees develop the language skills to discuss toxic masculinity openly.

“Toxic masculinity can become a self-destructive cycle," he said. "We must have hard conversations in order to understand ourselves and show up as better men for the people we love.”