River Rouge LB Deshawn Walker calls CMU his family, inspired by Akey's energy

River Rouge High School 2020 linebacker Deshawn Walker visited Central Michigan on Feb. 23. (Photo Credit: Deshawn Walker)

River Rouge High School junior linebacker Deshawn Walker describes himself as a "head hunter" on the gridiron, always on the prowl for his next challenger.

The aggressive style stems from his love for the game, and that type of attitude could be on its way to the Central Michigan football program.

Walker got a taste of what the future could be on a Feb. 23 unofficial visit to see the Chippewas. He spent his time with linebackers coach Mark DeBastiani and defensive coordinator Robb Akey, along with head coach Jim McElwain.

When asked if Walker could see himself as a student-athlete in Mount Pleasant, he was quick to make it known that he imagines himself running onto the field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium in just a few short years.

"I say that because it feels like home," Walker said. "When I leave high school, I want to go and play with a family, not just a team. That’s what CMU is. It’s a family."

DeBastiani and Akey are two key roles of CMU's football family. DeBastiani has coached linebackers in some capacity since 2005 with Norfolk State (2005-14), Florida (2015-17) and Alabama A&M (2018).

From 1-on-1 talks with DeBastiani on his visit, Walker said important aspects were made clear: DeBastiani is "passionate" for CMU, his newfound players and all the recruits.

Akey's energy

The defensive coordinator brings "light into a dark room," as Walker explained it.

"He’s just a great person to talk to and compete for," Walker said of Akey.

The energy from Akey is one of the main reasons why McElwain brought him on as his defensive coordinator at CMU. And it was evident way back in the mid-1980s.

McElwain played quarterback for Eastern Washington from 1980-83, and one year after his graduation, Akey jumped into the collegiate ranks as a defensive lineman, linebacker and tight end for Weber State from 1984-87.

Once each coach's playing career was over, the pair remained with their respective alma mater until the 1995 season. Since Weber State and Eastern Washington are both in the Big Sky, Akey and McElwain lined up across from each other on multiple occasions as coaches.

"He was my first call," McElwain said of Akey. "I'm excited about his energy."

Where CMU stands

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound linebacker in the 2020 class has offers from Ball State, CMU, Kent State, Northern Illinois and Toledo.

Right now, the Chippewas are at the top of Walker's list.

"They are first on my list right now because of how they welcome the players," he said. "They don’t try to sell you anything. They tell you how it is and how you are going to make their program greater.”

The closest school to CMU is Kent State, Walker said. The Golden Flashes finished 2018 with a 2-10 mark overall and 1-7 record in MAC play.

Even if Walker picks CMU, he wouldn't start his college career until the 2020 season. However, the linebacker position is wide open after the departures of Malik Fountain, Alex Briones and Trevor Apsey to graduation.

Senior Michael Oliver is expected to lead the linebacker room in 2019, followed by redshirt sophomore Troy Brown, redshirt sophomore George Douglas and senior Christian Mercer.

Fountain and Briones, two starters a year ago, combined for 216 tackles, 15 tackles for a loss, one sack, two interceptions, two passes defended, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery in 2018 under former coach John Bonamego.

Walker doesn't have a definite timetable set for his commitment, but he is highly considering Central Michigan.

"I’m still thinking," Walker said. "It might be, it might not. You’ll just have to find out.”