Softball dominated by No. 25 Michigan in home opener

march-28-softball
Sophomore infielder Morgan Gardner runs to third base during the game against Valparaiso on March 28 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

The Central Michigan softball team played the first month of the season on the road, traveling all over the southern part of the country.

The Chippewas (11-16) had their home opener spoiled by No. 25 Michigan (20-10) 8-0 in five innings. 

CMU could only manage three hits off of Michigan starter Alex Storako. She struck out five Chippewas and only issued one walk in her five innings of work, earning the victory. 

"I'm just disappointed we didn't do a better job performing," said head coach Margo Jonker. "We didn't make the adjustments we needed to at the plate."

The Wolverines scored their first run in the first inning. Designated player Mackenzie Nemitz plated centerfielder Natalie Peters on a groundout to third base. 

Michigan would expand its lead on a two-run home run from third baseman Madison Uden that was driven hard to right field and carried over the fence for the round-tripper. 

The Wolverines began to pile on the runs in the top of the fourth inning. After a two-run double from Peters, leftfielder Lexie Blair reached on an infield single. First baseman Alex Sobczak then reached on a fielder's choice. 

Nemitz took the game over with one swing. 

She lifted a 2-2 pitch high and deep to right-center field that capped a five-run inning that chased sophomores starting pitcher Samantha Howell and reliever Cloe Mallory. 

Howell allowed six hits, four runs and three walks in her 3.1 innings of work. Mallory would allow four runs on four hits in her one-third inning of work. 

"(Michigan) was doing a good job of hitting our mispatch," Jonker said. "We were not hitting our spots and therefore, they were doing a good job of having discipline to swing at the pitches in the zone." 

The Chippewas would have a scoring threat of their own in the bottom of the fourth inning. Senior centerfielder Sara Hansen reached on an infield single. Freshman designated player Shannon Stein drew a walk then reached on an infield single of her own to load the bases. 

Freshman outfielder Tala Dean would then ground out to the shortstop to end the threat. 

Both teams would then fall in order in the fifth inning, and the run rule would end the game, giving Michigan the victory. 

CMU will hit the road again to take on Buffalo in a two-day, three-game series March 29 and 30. The Chippewas return home April 2 for a double header against Western Michigan.