COLUMN: Losing in MAC Tournament semifinals will ignite revenge for women's basketball

wbb-vs-buffalo46
Sophomore guard Micaela Kelly gets teary-eyed after her loss to the University of Buffalo in the MAC tournament semifinals on March 15 in Quicken Loans Arena.

Sometimes, the chips fall in the perfect fashion when least expected. 

Other times, expectations succumb to reality. The third month of the calendar has conditioned fans, coaches and players to expect the unexpected.

I have learned that postseason college basketball supersedes expectation, like last season when No. 16 University of Maryland-Baltimore County defeated No. 1 Virginia in the NCAA Tournament first round. That had never happened before in the tournament's 79-year history. 

There was an expectation that the No.1-ranked Chippewas (25-7) were going to win the Mid-American Conference semifinals against the No. 4 Buffalo (22-9). A win would have put them through to the championship game.

The keywords there: Would have.

CMU was riding an emotional high coming off of its overtime thriller in the MAC Tournament quarterfinals against Eastern Michigan. It needed senior guard Presley Hudson to hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to force the extra period against the Eagles. 

She hit the incredible shot and scored 11 points of the 15 that CMU logged in the overtime.

That game was one of the more exciting victories that this team had all season and there were a lot of thoughts that, with a victory of that variety, they were unbeatable.

Buffalo came out with a game plan. CMU coach Sue Guevara, senior forward Reyna Frost and senior guard Presley Hudson all credited the Bulls for how they were able to attack the Chippewas. 

"It was a good battle," Frost said. "They got some good calls and we were just struggling down in the post on our end. We were fighting on the boards. We lost the rebounding battle so that's a big important part of it, too, but give credit to Buffalo for that."

From where I was on press row, it looked like the officials had the Chippewas' number. Guevara told the media after the game, "If anyone has $10,000, I'll tell you how I really feel." 

There were a few calls down the stretch that looked somewhat questionable, and there were some no-calls when it appeared that CMU would be heading to the free throw line. 

One that sticks out in my mind is almost inexcusable and a blatant tell-all that the game was not going the way of the Chippewas.

Hudson was called for a carry. 

A carry is a violation called in the 6th grade when kids are still learning the fundamentals of the game. Not during the semifinals of a Division I conference tournament. 

After that call, I tried to take notice of most instances where a "carry" would be called. Almost every single player on both teams did it. 

The momentum of each team is noticed by those working on press row, and even sometimes felt. While we are working members of the media, there is still anxiety that presents itself and lingers towards the end of a close game. 

The Chippewas strung together a 15-2 run at the beginning of the fourth quarter to take a lead from Buffalo. But the Bulls were not done and senior guard Cierra Dillard took over. 

Buffalo's star did not make a 3-pointer until the fourth quarter, and once she did, it was a swing in the game. She later converted the last of six 3-point-plays to give her team the lead for good. 

Dillard, the leading scorer in the MAC, shot more free throws than the Chippewas did combined. She ended the game 11-for-12 from the charity stripe and scored a game-high 30 points. 

"Give Buffalo all the credit in the world," Guevara said. "When one player takes more free throws than my entire team, she knows how to make free throws." 

When Dillard knocked down the free throws and the minutes turned to seconds, I could feel the energy from the Chippewa bench extinguish.

There is nothing that this team should hang its head for. Faced with adversity, they fought as hard as they could until the very end. I have no doubt that if these two teams somehow meet again, the Chippewas will get revenge. 

I also have no doubt that this loss will ignite a desire to make another run in the NCAA Tournament.