EDITORIAL: Attend the 30th annual 'Celebrating Life' Pow Wow

You should learn about the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe

powwow-16
Oneida Wisconsin’s Floyd Silas III dances during Pow Wows celebration of Life on Mar. 17 in McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan University students are known as the Chippewas. We proudly yell, "Fire up Chips," and constantly wear and display the Chippewa name, but how much do most CMU students know about the tribe we share a community with?

The 30th annual 'Celebrating Life' Pow Wow on March 23 and 24 is an opportunity for the CMU community to learn about the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe and its culture. Taking place in the John G. Kulhavi Events Center in McGuirk Arena, general admission is $7 for ages 11 and above. CMU students, children and Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe members can attend the event for free with proper identification. 

The grand entry ceremonies will take place at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday, March 23 and noon Sunday, March 24. Doors open to the public both days at 11 a.m. 

The Pow Wow teaches attendees the history of the tribe through dancing, singing and food. The event is organized by students and advisers on the Pow Wow Committee. The event is intended to build cultural unity between the tribal community and the university by bringing everyone together for a celebration.

This weekend, gather a few of your friends and spend time at the Pow Wow. You won't regret it. Not only will you learn about Native people and their culture, but when else do you have the opportunity to experience song, dance and regalia all truly traditional to the Saginaw Chippewa people? 

Too often in our society, Native Americans are represented with inaccurate or negative stereotypes. Take advantage of this chance to see a true, authentic presentation of the Native American culture. 

CMU frequently partners with the tribe. From summer sports camps, tribal youth mentoring programs and more, the tribe is an essential part of our university and community. We should know about their history and culture, and appreciate the massive role they play here.

If you are going to call yourself a Chippewa, shouldn't you be educated about the Chippewa people? The Pow Wow is a unique opportunity to learn about Native people, and create a deeper, more understanding relationship between the CMU community and the tribe. 

We encourage you to attend.