Malik Fountain hopes scouts will overlook Pro Day performance in favor of on-field production

img-6185-2
Central Michigan linebacker Malik Fountain participates in 2019 Pro Day on March 14 at Turf Bay in the Indoor Athletic Complex at CMU.

Malik Fountain sat on the ground in silence, his head pressed against the white brick wall and his knees tucked toward his chest. 

The small crowd of scouts, prospects, and spectators filed past him as they left Central Michigan’s Indoor Athletic Complex at the end of CMU’s Pro Day on March 14. Their departure did not seem to even register with Fountain.

Upon completion of his Pro Day workout, Fountain opted not to do an on-camera interview. Instead, he chose to remain in his spot at the base of the wall, where he sat for the better part of half an hour.

He looked out at Turf Bay, CMU’s indoor football facility, but his eyes were empty. He appeared solemn and contemplative, perhaps replaying his Pro Day performance in his mind. 

It hadn’t gone well. 

Fountain struggled in the majority of the field events at CMU’s Pro Day, often requiring a second or third attempt due to a slip or false start. His 40-yard dash time was in the range of 4.7 seconds, his 20-yard shuttle run was clocked at 4.45 seconds, and he recorded a 9-foot-3 broad jump. 

The frustration was evident in Fountain’s facial expressions following each event. He knew that he needed to do better in order to convince scouts he was worth selecting in the draft.

“I didn’t perform to the best of my capabilities today,” Fountain said in a dejected tone.

The linebacker’s aura of quiet disappointment was a far cry from the confidence he displayed when he took the field to anchor the Chippewas’ defense.

Over the course of his collegiate career in Mount Pleasant, Fountain amassed 401 tackles, 226 being solo.

The Chicago, Illinois native started all 51 games he played at CMU, which ties him for second-most games started in program history. 

As a senior, Fountain was bestowed the honor of team captain because of his ability to decipher and adjust his defense based on the opponent’s alignment.

“Malik has made plays for us over the past few seasons time and time again,” former head coach John Bonamego said going into the 2018 season. “He’s one of the smartest players on the team with reading an offense.”

In the 2018 season alone, Fountain racked up 155 total tackles in 12 games. He led the Mid-American Conference in total tackles, solo tackles per game (7.3) and tackles per game (12.9). The latter two categories ranked him second amongst all players in the Football Bowl Subdivision for the 2018-19 season. 

He also hauled in two interceptions and made 8.5 tackles for loss on the season.

Fountain received First Team All-MAC honors for his play at middle linebacker in 2018. He was selected to the All-MAC Second Team defense as a junior and to the All-MAC First Team defense as a sophomore, a testament to his consistency as a top performer in the conference.

Fountain hopes that his steady performance on the field will be enough for professional football organizations to take notice.

“Film doesn’t lie and scouts know that,” Fountain said. “I think that scouts can look at my film and see the type of player I am.”

Entering CMU’s Pro Day, the 6-foot-2, 230-pound linebacker was projected to go undrafted, and his Pro Day output likely did not improve his NFL draft stock. 

Fountain slid his back down the Turf Bay’s brick wall and sunk to the ground. He did not move from his sitting position for nearly 30 minutes.

Eventually, Fountain stood up from the turf, gathered his things, and made his way toward the exit. 

Though the NFL may currently be out of the picture, Fountain is open to playing pro ball in a league outside the NFL. This would include associations such as the CFL, AAF and XFL.

At the end of the day, he just wants to play.

“I love football,” Fountain said. “I’m ready for any opportunity that’s out there for me.”