Turning Point USA at CMU to host guest speaker for political discussion

Director of Urban Development Brandon Tatum to be featured guest

turning-point-usa
(Courtesy Photo | Turning Point USA Central Michigan University Facebook page)

Update: This article has been changed to reflect a change in the location of the event. It will now take place in Pearce 127.

The Central Michigan University chapter of Turning Point USA will host Brandon Tatum, a former police officer and Turning Point USA director of Urban Engagement, who will speak at event called #WalkAway at 7 p.m., March 14 in Pearce 127.

Turning Point USA is a conservative nonprofit organization founded by 25-year-old Charlie Kirk, who worked on Donald Trump's 2016 political campaign.

During the two-hour event, Tatum will discuss “bringing Americans together to #WalkAway from intolerance and societal discord; and to walk toward unity, civility, respect, and the American ideals of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all," according to the event page.

“Our organization's mission is to identify, educate, train and organize students to promote the principles of freedom, free markets and limited government,” said junior Salicia Bayes, organizer of the event. 

The event is free and open to the public, but anyone who wishes to attend must RSVP to the event’s Evite page, which can be found on the "Turning Point USA at Central Michigan University" Facebook page.

“We’re hoping to help students learn to think for themselves and not be forced into thinking a certain way and creating a place for open dialogue for students on campus to discuss topics like the dangers of socialism," Bayes said.