CMU fends off Ball State's late bats in 5-4 victory

mensbaseballmarch29-16
Men's baseball team faces Northern Illinois March 29 at Theunissen Stadium.

Since the Central Michigan baseball team returned home to Theunissen Stadium for the first time all season on March 26, the Chippewas have been unstoppable.

Literally.

Behind a strong pitching performance from right-handed starter Pat Leatherman, the Chippewas (22-7, 6-1 Mid-American Conference) etched out a 5-4 victory over Ball State on April 5.

"We battled our butts off today," said CMU coach Jordan Bischel. "We found a way to get it done. Pat knows how to compete. It seems like he makes his biggest pitches in the tightest spots."

Through CMU's eight-game winning streak, sometimes the bats are the catalyst for success. Other times, it's the pitching. But there are also situations where wins are earned through coaching alone.

Nonetheless, the Chippewas continue to get the job done and have yet to lose in Mount Pleasant.

Leatherman (W, 5-0) went six innings, allowing just one run (unearned) on two hits and three walks to defeat the Cardinals (19-10, 4-1 MAC).

The veteran on the bump induced 11 pop outs, two ground ball outs, four strikeouts and got one out on an assist from his left fielder.

"It's harping on getting down in the zone because you get them to chase up," Leatherman said of getting hitters to fly out. "Most of those swings are off time."

Run support made the difference, as it helped the Chippewas maintain a tough seventh inning push from Ball State. The win was CMU's first one-run victory since its 4-3 defeat of Pittsburgh on March 3.

Zach Heeke's single and a free pass drew by Zach Gilles set up a pristine opportunity for Jacob Crum early in the game. He delivered, sending the ball to center field.

While rounding second base, Gilles was picked off and called out by the infield umpire. However, Heeke scored on the play for a 1-0 CMU lead.

Bischel's group tacked on a run in the third and fourth on an RBI single from Gilles and a fielder's choice RBI from David Cole, respectively.

Cardinals finally score

Down 3-0, Ball State finally got on the scoreboard in the top of the fifth. Back-to-back walks put runners on first and second for Chase Sebby.

Sebby chopped the ball down the third base line to Heeke, who stepped on third and fired it down to second baseman Jason Sullivan for a double play. The Chippewas nearly formulated three outs in one play, but Sebby just beat the throw from Sullivan to first baseman Evan Kratt.

Against the ensuing batter, the Cardinals scored on an error by shortstop Zavier Warren, but the Chippewas were quick to make up for the error with a two-RBI double from Griffin Lockwood-Powell in the bottom half of the inning for a 5-1 edge.

Ball State starting pitcher Drey Jameson (L, 1-3) went four innings and gave up five runs on six hits and five walks while striking out three hitters.

"He's really good," Bischel said. "He has a good chance to be a big leaguer, for sure. We were really, really soli against him and didn't try to do too much."

Looking to score in the top of the sixth, Ross Messina shot a missile to the left-field corner. When Noah Navarro was rounding third, he slipped, fell and was unable to retreat to third base in time.

Left fielder Chase Rollin launched the ball to Heeke at third base to get Navarro out and save a run.

The next batter, John Ricotta, struck out swinging. Leatherman left the field pumping both fists through the air as his teammates corralled him in near the dugout.

Leatherman departs, middle relievers struggle

Bischel yanked Leatherman after six innings of one-run ball and went to left-hander Garrett Navarra.

In order, Navarra allowed a walk, hit and another walk to load the bases before recording a single out. Bischel charged out to the hill and removed him from the game for right-hander Jordan Patty.

Patty walked his first batter, Noah Powell, to hand Ball State an easy trot home for a run. The following Cardinal to go against Patty was Tim Blankenberger, who delivered a run scored on his fly out to the warning track in right field. Michael Simpson did the same but to center field, trimming CMU's lead to 5-4.

Navarro singled up the middle to set up Messina with runners on the corners and two outs, however, Patty struck him out to finally end the inning.

Miller slams door

To the tune of Iron Man by Black Sabbath, 6-foot-10 right-handed pitcher Cameron Miller took the bump for the top of the eighth – immediately issuing a strikeout.

It took Miller just eight pitches to record three outs.

Bischel handed the ball back to Miller for the ninth with just three outs needed to secure the conference win.

Of the first four batters he faced, Miller (SV, 5) put two runners on with just two outs. Against Navarro, the lengthy righty got him to strikeout looking to end the game.

Up Next

The Chippewas take on Ball State at 1 p.m. April 6 for the second of a three-game series. The Sunday finale also begins at 1 p.m. at Theunissen Stadium.