Offensive lineman Shakir Carr shows physical changes to scouts at Pro Day

Central Michigan offensive lineman Shakir Carr prepares for a drill at Pro Day on March 14 at Turf Bay in the Indoor Athletic Complex.

Central Michigan's Pro Day offered Shakir Carr an opportunity to showcase his skillset to scouts from all 32 NFL teams, as well as some from the Canadian Football League.

However, it was more than just on-field traits that he fashioned on March 14 at Turf Bay in the Indoor Athletic Complex. 

Carr put his transformed body on display for all to see.

After a successful CMU career, in which he started 29 games, Carr didn’t take a break. He knew that if he wanted to fulfill his dreams of playing in the NFL, there was still work to be done after the Chippewas' 51-13 loss to Toledo in the 2018 finale.

“All the way I’m going to the NFL and I’m sticking with that," Carr said. "I don’t care where I go, I’m just going to play in the NFL."

With NFL aspirations in mind, Carr decided he needed to work on getting his body in shape to play professional football. After working by himself in December 2018, Carr eventually got in the gym with a personal trainer in January at Performance One in Niles, Michigan.

“My trainers down in Niles got me ready," Carr said. They took care of my nutrition, speed, and strength. They got me more focused on what I needed to get to where I need to be."

The changes to his physique paid off when Carr hit the field for positional drills, where scouts tested the offensive lineman’s footwork. He moved with a quickness that wasn’t there during his senior season. During his final campaign, Carr was named CMU's Offensive Up-Front Player of the Year.

“I feel a lot lighter on my feet, I feel better on my feet," Carr said. "I wasn’t really the strongest on bench press and I didn’t run the fastest 40, but my feet were good and my hands were good.”

Central Michigan offensive lineman Shakir Carr walks to his spot in line at Pro Day on March 14 at Turf Bay in the Indoor Athletic Complex.

Carr added that some scouts took notice of his improved body as well.

“They said I looked good," Carr said. "I passed the eye test. I dropped a lot of weight. I was 330 pounds at the end of last year, today I weighed in at 309. I cut a good amount of weight and I leaned up. They saw that I looked better.”

After an impressive showing for Carr at Pro Day, he now will continue to prepare for the NFL. 

“I’ve talked to my mom about this a lot and I don’t really care where I go. I would love to be around my family in the Midwest, but I just need the chance," Carr said. "If a team out west is calling, I’m going out west."

As for where his mother, Solenia Carr, wants him to wind up, she isn’t too picky either.

“I just want to see him somewhere where people care about him," Solenia said. "Where they really look out for him and what’s in his best interest."

Carr knows he has what it takes to continue playing at the highest level, and he’s going to be prepared when his chance comes.