Softball earns split against first place Western Michigan

imr-2626

Sophomore pitcher Samantha Howell of the Central Michigan Women's Softball Team throws a strike against Western Michigan April 2 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Defeating Western Michigan always leaves a sweet taste for any Central Michigan program. The softball team experienced this feeling after splitting an April 2 doubleheader.

A strong seven-run second inning in the second game at Margo Jonker Stadium helped the Chippewas (13-18-1, 4-3-1 Mid-American Conference) earn the split.

CMU dominated the second game after the first place Broncos (10-14, 3-1 MAC) did the same in the first game of the doubleheader.

After that first game, which was a crushing 12-5 victory for the visitors, CMU responded by setting the tone early and often.

"I was really happy with how they hit the ball," said coach Margo Jonker. "I thought we did an excellent job coming back off a bad game, coming back and setting a tone." 

Game One: WMU 12, CMU 5

The Broncos scored three runs in the first inning, paced by a two-run single from shortstop Brooke Wyman. She connected on a pitch from sophomore starting pitcher Samantha Howell. It skipped over senior center fielder Sara Hansen's glove and rolled all the way to the fence. 

Wyman then rounded the bases and scored on a single with a three-base error. 

Sophomore designated player Tala Dean brought the Chippewas to within a run with a two-run double to left-center field. The ball carried to the wall and was mere inches away from a home run. 

Dean was unable to score and CMU would end its first inning with two runs. 

WMU continued to add to its lead by scoring another three runs in the top of the second inning. Mackenzie Swinehart had the bases loaded and cleared them with a double to deep left field. 

Howell exited the game after allowing six hits on five hits in her 1 1/3 innings of work, and she took the loss.

The Broncos added a run in the fifth inning with a solo home run from junior outfielder Kaylen Glenfield. The round-tripper came off of sophomore reliever Cloe Mallory. 

Mallory allowed four runs on six hits in 4 2/3 innings in the first game of the double header. 

WMU poured on the runs in the final two innings of the game. Sydney Stefanick hammered out a two-run home run to center field and put the Broncos up, 10-3.

In the seventh, the Broncos added two more runs after freshman pitcher Shannon Stein loaded the bases twice in the top of the final inning. 

CMU would not go down without a fight in the final inning of the first game. 

Hansen doubled to center field which advanced sophomore utility player Shaidan Knapp to third. She scored on an error from the Bronco outfield. 

Dean then recorded her second RBI of the game when she grounded out and scored senior first baseman Erika Underwood. 

The game ended on a line out from junior second baseman Morgan Gardner. 

Game Two: CMU 12, WMU 3

The Chippewas opened the second game with a pair of triples from Knapp and Hansen. Knapp's went down the right field line and all the way to the wall. Hansen's three-bagger lined to right-center field and worked its way to the fence again. 

Underwood then drove in Hansen with a single to left-center field. Perlberg pinch ran for Underwood after the hit. 

She scored with two outs when senior second baseman Rachel Vieira popped to second base but the ball was dropped.

Erin Barg brought her Broncos back into the game with a two-run home run to right-center field.

Knapp led the second inning with her second triple of the game. Underwood scored Knapp and Hansen, after reaching on a walk, with a ground ball that went through the legs of Barg. 

For Knapp, her contributions to the team instilled confidence within because she normally bats ninth in the order. She was given the opportunity to lead off and she made the most of it.

"I knew I had to start the game off strong," Knapp said. "I got to get something rolling for us. I felt really focused and zoned in and I just did it." 

The Chippewas scored another two runs on a double from Stein to right-center field. Vieira reached with a base hit of her own. 

Chaos then ensued.

Vieira laid down a bunt which scored Dean. A lack of defensive awareness allowed Stein to score and Vieira to advance to third base. She would later score on a base hit from Gardner. 

CMU carried a 10-2 lead following the second inning after scoring seven runs in the inning. 

Bean was strong in the circle for the Chippewas, giving up just three runs on six hits. She fanned a pair of Broncos in a complete game. 

"When she got up with the ball or her location wasn't as good, that's the time when they got the hits," Jonker said Bean. "When she had good location and good movement, that's when they couldn't touch her." 

Underwood ended the game with a line-drive home run to right field that gave CMU the walk-off mercy win over the arch rival Broncos.

Up next

The Chippewas host Ohio for a two-day, three-game series beginning at 3 p.m. on April 5 at Margo Jonker Stadium. The Bobcats currently hold a 6-2 record in the MAC, which is good enough for second place behind WMU. Their last game was a 10-2 victory over Kent State.