CMUPD responds to fraud, drunk driving and harassment reports

Central Michigan University police cars parked outside the CMU police station on September 12, 2018.

In the past week, the Central Michigan Police Department responded to calls of retail fraud, drunk driving and harassment. 

• On March 25, officers responded to a call from someone who smelled marijuana from a dorm room in Thorpe Hall. Officers made contact with the 19-year-old male who admitted to using THC oil in the dorm. He was issued a civil infraction citation for the use of marijuana. 
  • On March 26, a harassment complaint was called in by an 18-year-old female. The victim said her 23-year-old ex-boyfriend was trying to contact her even though she had blocked his phone number and Facebook account. No threats were made, but the contact was still unwanted. There are no criminal charges at this point. 
  • On March 27, both campus and city police were dispatched to Wayside on a disorderly conduct call. An intoxicated 23-year-old female was trying to fight with bar staff. When officers showed up, she tried to fight with them as well. She was arrested, transported to the Isabella County Jail and cited for disorderly conduct. 
  • On March 27, officers responded to a call about retail fraud in the Kesseler Hall POD convenience store. A customer paid for one item but stole a juice drink while leaving. A surveillance video was used to identify the 21-year-old male. He later admitted to stealing the drink and the case was transferred to the Office of Student Conduct. The university didn't press charges but asked him to pay $3.99 for the drink. 
  • On March 27, officers responded to a second harassment case. Officers went to Cobb Hall to investigate an 18-year-old female being harassed over the phone by her 21-year-old ex-boyfriend. No threats were made toward the victim.
  • On March 31, officers responded to a drunk driving accident on the corner of Ojibway Court and Washington Street. The victim’s car had come to a stop in the road and the following car ran into it. After arriving on the scene, the driver of the following vehicle admitted he was intoxicated. The 20-year-old female in the hit car sustained minor injuries and the 23-year-old intoxicated male was arrested for drunk driving.