Relay For Life to raise money for the American Cancer Society April 13

relay_for_life_2
Participants of the Relay for Life walk around the event on Mar. 25 in the Indoor Athletic Center. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

Student groups and local businesses will come together to raise money for cancer awareness and research during Relay For Life April 13.

The fundraiser will be a 12-hour long event from 11 a.m.-11 p.m. at Finch Fieldhouse. The event was organized by the Central Michigan University branch of Colleges Against Cancer.

CAC President Amelia Greco, a Zeeland senior, said many RSOs, fraternities, sororities and local businesses will be participating in the event by raising money for the American Cancer Society.

“It brings together a bunch of different student groups that wouldn’t necessarily be in the same place,” Greco said. “Not only are you raising money for a good cause, but you also get a chance to make connections. Everyone is here because cancer has affected us one way or another.”

Each group will have a table on the track in Finch to raise money for the American Cancer Society. For example, Greco said the Physical Therapy Club will be giving massages for donations.

There will be various performances, games and ceremonies throughout the day. A full schedule of these can be found below. The starting ceremony will feature a speech from President Robert Davies.

The money raised will go to the American Cancer Society for research and helping cancer patients. Greco said the participants have already been raising money before the event. She anticipates about $5,000-6,000 to be raised at the event, adding up to around $35,000-45,000 raised.

Courtesy Photo The schedule for the events happening during Relay for Life, happening at 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., April 13, 2019 at the Finch Fieldhouse.