'It took weight off my shoulders': Shakir Carr earns rookie minicamp invitation from Colts

shakir
Central Michigan offensive lineman Shakir Carr gets ready to block for quarterback Tommy Lazzaro on Oct. 6 against Buffalo at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

With eight picks remaining in the 2019 NFL Draft, Shakir Carr separated himself from family and friends. He went quietly to his room, questioning if he'd get an all-important phone call from an NFL general manager.

If the NFL didn't work out, Carr's next step was to get out on Monday and search for a job to go hand-in-hand with his business degree from Central Michigan. 

But that wasn't on his mind at that moment.

The only situation racing through Carr's brainwaves was a phone call, even just for an invite to rookie minicamp.

Sure enough, 15 minutes after the conclusion of the draft, a 317 area code number appeared on his phone – Indianapolis, Indiana. 

"Dang, this is it right here," Carr thought to himself.

Indianapolis Colts General Manager Chris Ballard was on the other end of the call, expressing his desire to have Carr attend rookie minicamp from May 3-5. The offensive lineman accepted the invitation April 27 and has already begun packing his bags for Indianapolis. He arrives in town Thursday night and begins work Friday. 

"I almost started crying right there, but I held it together," Carr said. "I started crying when I got off the phone and everyone was cheering. There's so much pressure leading up to Pro Day and the pre-draft calls, so it took weight off my shoulders."

Carr's family and friends celebrated, and the music was turned up to the highest level. Carr said it was like the roof was about to blow off the house.

"I was just sitting there looking at them like, 'Wow, this is crazy,'" Carr said.

Coming into the three-day NFL draft, Carr had a pretty good idea he'd end up taking the undrafted route. That specifically made it difficult for him with family and friends who weren't aware of how that process worked.

Now, he's continued to explain that he hasn't signed a contract with the Colts just yet. He's only earned an opportunity to make the team based on his performance at minicamp.

"It's scary," Carr said. "I still have to prove myself."

Eight teams contacted the South Bend native after Pro Day, of which one was the Colts. Most of the questions asked were basic ones about health, participating in minicamp, the agent involved and if other teams have been in contact. 

Undrafted success stories are a large part of the NFL, as there are often players each year who are overlooked that thrive in the league. Some of those athletes include quarterback Kurt Warner, wide receiver Wes Welker, tight end Antonio Gates and offensive tackle Jason Peters.

There are 15 current members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame who went undrafted.

Carr's goal is to become an undrafted success story. He's talked to recent NFL players from CMU like Tyler Conklin, Amari Coleman and Corey Willis to gain insight on what the next level presents.

"They've given me little tips to maximize my opportunity, so I just take everything and add it to what I've already got," Carr said.

In CMU's 51-13 loss to Toledo to cap off the 2018 season, Carr weighed 335 pounds. The day the Colts called him, he was down to 305 pounds. He's done tons of cardio to expand his resiliency on the field.

"Another thing that was kind of knocking me during this whole process was the ability to finish plays," Carr said, adding he's improved his stamina.

Carr joins cornerbacks Sean Bunting and Xavier Crawford as Chippewas from the recent campaign to get NFL opportunities. Bunting was selected No. 39 overall (second round) by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Crawford went No. 195 overall (sixth round) to the Houston Texas.

"I was so excited for those guys," Carr said. "They got it guaranteed. Well, they've still got to prove it, but it's more guaranteed. It's so good to see teammates succeed."

The most famous offensive lineman to leave his mark on CMU is Eric Fisher, who was picked No. 1 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft. Other top names from the Chippewas in the league are offensive tackle Joe Staley, wide receiver Antonio Brown, defensive tackle Leterrius Walton, defensive back Kavon Frazier and tight end Conklin.

Carr said he thinks the Chippewa name carries weight in the NFL, even if players from Power 5 conferences don't agree.

"We've had a lot of guys go and got great guys that are there," Carr said. "A lot of people might not see it that way, but we've got guys that have proven it. They all have the same tag as me."

Even though Carr hopes to take the field on Sundays for the Colts, he's currently zoned in on succeeding at minicamp.

Right now, it's all about surviving and advancing.