Shawn Roundtree Jr., Matt Beachler earn Academic All-MAC men's basketball honors

bball-4

Freshman guard Matt Beachler passes the ball to junior guard Shawn Roundtree during the game against Eureka on Nov. 18 at McGuirk Arena. 

The Central Michigan men’s basketball team had two players honored for their academic accolades on April 5 — Shawn Roundtree Jr. and Matt Beachler.

The duo was named to the Academic All-Mid-American Conference men's basketball team.

Roundtree, a senior earning his degree in entrepreneurship with a minor in marketing, is graduating from CMU in May. The Edwardsville native carries a 3.26 grade point average currently.

“I’m very proud of my team for the great things we accomplished this year,” Roundtree said. “Now it’s more so focusing on graduation and making sure I finish up the school year strong academically.”

As a player, Roundtree averaged the second-most points per game (16.6) and total assists (105) on the team. He also led the team in 3-point field goal percentage, making 76-of-178 (42.7 percent) attempts.

As for Beachler, an accounting major, he is finishing off his sophomore year holding a 3.57 GPA. The Lowell native averaged four points in 11.3 minutes per game. Of his 113 attempted field goals in 2018-19, 94 of them were from beyond the arc. Beachler made 32 of them to earn a 34 percent mark from downtown.