Special Olympics Michigan to host 51st State Summer Games this summer

closing-ceremony-52
The crowd cheered for Jedi Mind Trip at the closing ceremony of the State Summer Games.

Special Olympics Michigan, will be hosting its 51st State Summer Games this summer from May 30 to June 1. 

The first state summer games took place in 1969 at Western Michigan University. SOMI moved to Central Michigan University in 1972. The games started with only about 100 athletes. Now it draws in about 3,000, with more than 3,500 volunteers and spectators. 

The state summer games are categorized into various sports that include track and field, bocce, bowling, gymnastics, horseshoes, power lifting, swimming, weightlifting and volleyball. There is also developmental athletics for athletes that require additional assistance and the motor activities training program meant for those who are limited by wheelchairs. 

The organization added unified sports, athletes who have a disability paired with those who don’t, two years ago. This is meant to highlight teamwork and acceptance between teammates.

“Every sporting event is better and more intense with people in the stands,” Communications Director Aaron Mills said. “You can just see the impact our athletes have on the volunteers and spectators.” 

Opening and closing ceremonies take place in Kelly/Shorts Stadium, while the games and events are held in the various buildings on campus.  

A complete schedule can be found on the SOMI website. Due to the amount of construction that will occur on campus over the summer, times and dates are subjected to change.  

Every year the summer games has a theme. This year’s theme is “We Are Victorious” which is based on a song written by Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Nicole Scherzinger. The singer serves as the global ambassador for Special Olympics. She performed the song in her closing performance at the Special Olympics World Games March 21 in Abu Dhabi.

Don Stabenow, a former CMU and Mid-Michigan Community College professor and has been a member of the Special Olympics Michigan Games Committee for more than 40 years will serve as this year’s grand marshal. 

President Timothy Hileman was hired into his new position last year. The 2019 games will be his first at the helm. Mills said he looks forward to getting the community and university more involved in the summer games in the years to come. 

“You never understand what a Special Olympics event means until you go to one,” he said.

SOMI is still accepting volunteers for the games. Individuals can sign up for a position prior to the games online or show up day of and offer help wherever it’s needed. The games have no admission fee, but donations are greatly appreciated. To donate to SOMI, visit the organization’s website or call the state’s office at (989) 774-3911.