Veteran Da'Quaun Jamison embraces competitive spirit amongst defensive backs

Central Michigan safety Da'Quaun Jamison walks into Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Sept. 22 as the Chippewas prepare to take on FCS Maine.

It’s been a long process for Da’Quaun Jamison, but the senior safety has worked steadily to establish himself as a significant player and leader on the Central Michigan football team.

Jamison committed to the Chippewas on Dec. 20, 2014 following a 5A Region 1 state title and back-to-back second team All-State selections while at Lee County High School in Leesburg, Georgia.

Fresh out of high school, Jamison was redshirted for the 2015 season. In 2016, the 6-foot, 191-pound safety remained on the sidelines on gamedays.

Three years into college football, he had yet to see game action in the secondary.

Instead of being discouraged, Jamison persisted and saw his role grow in the 2017 season. He started five games and appeared in all 13, recording 33 total tackles and breaking up five passes over the course of the season.

Jamison again played in every game last season and improved his statistics in several categories, including total tackles (41), tackles for loss (three), and forced fumbles (two).

Entering his fifth and final year as a Chippewa, Jamison aspires to build upon his career thus far while also assuming the role of a veteran leader that will help develop younger talent in the ranks of the defensive backs.

“I like all of our young guys,” Jamison said. “They all got character, and from a playing point of view, I feel like they all can play.”

In order to prepare his teammates in the secondary, Jamison has played a key role in encouraging communication both amongst the defensive back core and with the rest of the defense.

Coach Jim McElwain has taken notice of the effort Jamison and the rest of the secondary have put forth.

“I’m really happy with the safeties right now, the way that they’ve attacked it and have helped people get aligned throughout the defense,” McElwain said.

Jamison attributes his position group’s success to their willingness to learn and get better with each workout.

“We’re being very detailed, very coachable guys and sticking to that,” Jamison said.

With star cornerbacks Sean Bunting and Xavier Crawford gone, the Chippewas look to get the pair’s replacements up to speed before the season kicks off. Several players are in the mix for the starting corner jobs.

Though Jamison and redshirt sophomore Devonni Reed both were major contributers at the safety position in the 2018 season, Jamison stressed that all spots are completely up for grabs.

“There are no starting spots (filled),” Jamison said. “Everybody’s competing every day and the depth chart is changing every day.”

The Chippewas’ open spring practice is set to start at 1 p.m. on April 13. It will be a prime opportunity for Jamison and the rest of the defensive back group to showcase their skills in front of a crowd, make a case for a starting job in fall and continue the legacy of talent in the secondary that Bunting and Crawford advanced while at CMU.

“We’re very hungry to get out there,” Jamison said. “Coming off of last year, we’re just so eager to get better, eager to stay top in the nation and keep putting out good prospects at Central Michigan.”

Though it remains to be seen which players clinch the starting gigs in Week 1 against Albany on Aug. 29, Jamison will continue to promote cohesion and trust amongst all the defensive backs in the program. In the so-called “new era” that McElwain ushers in this season, a sense of togehterness is a crucial detail to getting the best performances possible from the Chippewa secondary in 2019.

“This ‘new era’ focuses on brotherhood,” Jamison said. “That’s part of our creative, part of what we stand for. We want to grow closer to one another, and hopefully that’ll translate on the field.”