Deadline to drop/add classes approaching Friday

imr6520

Senior office specialist Angela Massaway, left, helps Evart junior Courtney Sheldon Aug. 15 in the Student Services Court at the University Center.

It's the first week of classes at Central Michigan University, which means it's time to determine which courses, professors and curriculum will work for you this semester.

The fall 2019 drop/add period for students ends Friday, Aug. 30. During this week, students can attend classes, meet professors and navigate campus, while having the freedom to drop and add classes to their schedule. 

How do you drop and add courses?

Making schedule changes can be done electronically and in a matter of minutes. 

After logging on to CMU’s website using your global ID, pull up your account information and locate the “academics” section. Click on the link titled, “course search/registration/Drop & Add,” which will bring you to the “course search and registration page.”  

On the page, students can search for courses based on department, section number or instructor and add it to their schedule. Students can also drop classes they are not interested in taking, or that don't fit well in their schedule. 

Academic Advising

While students have the freedom to plan and navigate their own schedule, the Office of Academic Advising and Assistance can help make the process smooth and simple. 

Advisers are available to answer questions about course material, degree progress and navigating curriculum. 

“I always tell students to come into advising at least once a semester just to make sure everything is going the way it should be,” said Julie Fortino-Shurtliff, interim director of Student Services. “I always try to make students feel comfortable so they know they can come to me with questions, no matter what.” 

This fall, freshmen will go through "proactive advising," meaning they must see an adviser at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. They will meet with pre-major advisers who specialize in academic areas, to better help them with major and minor selection.  

“It’s hard for pre-major advisers to know everything there is to know about over 100 majors," Fortino-Shurtliff said. "This will make the process simpler and more personal."

Walk-in advising will be offered to upperclassmen in each academic college. Advising will be appointment-only in the College of Business Administration and the College of Health Professions. 

Students can set up an appointment with their adviser electronically by visiting CMU’s website or by calling the Academic Advising and Assistance Office at (989) 774-7506. 

“The biggest mistake students make when planning a schedule is waiting until the last minute,” Fortino-Shurtliff said.