American Sign Language Society educates students about Deaf culture

Olivet junior Kiersten Washburn (back middle left) and Mount Pleasant senior Ryanne Reddick (back middle right) pose for a photo with members of ASLS and interpreter Matt Maxey (front left).

When Mount Pleasant senior Ryanne Reddick came to Central Michigan University, she was a biology major. Reddick stumbled across the ASL program when trying to complete her scholarship requirements. 

Because Reddick was a Centralis Honors Student, she was required to take six diversity credits for her scholarship. She chose ASL classes to fulfill those requirements.

Reddick ended up completely changing her career path after discovering a love for ASL.

She is now majoring in social science with a minor in American Sign Language and is the president of Central Michigan University’s American Sign Language Society. The ASLS provides education and awareness about Deaf culture to students.

Olivet junior Kiersten Washburn, majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in ASL, is vice president of ASLS. Washburn has been in ASLS for three years and said she has found her passion for ASL.

“I joined ASLS because I’ve always been drawn to Sign Language and the more I learned, the more I wanted to get involved and I just fell in love with the language,” Washburn said.

Both Reddick and Washburn's favorite ASL event was Matt Maxey's performance last spring in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. Maxey is an ASL interpreter who has interpreted for famous artists such as Chance the Rapper.

ASLS works with the College of Health Professions to put on deaf awareness week every fall, and coordinates multiple speakers, performances, panels, and tabling events throughout the school year. Deaf awareness week takes place from Sept. 22-27 this year.

ASLS welcomes anyone who is interested in getting involved with deaf culture and on campus. No prior ASL experience is necessary.

Those who are interested in joining ASLS or have any questions can contact Reddick at reddi2r@cmich.edu or Washburn at washb1kb@cmich.edu.