CBA panel features members of the United States Securities and Exchange Commisson

cba-panel-photo

(Left to right) Jay Clayton, Bob Stebbins, Jon Voigtman and Max Dolinsky discuss market prices, insider trade-ins and the state of the economy Sept. 13 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium.

Members of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission shared their knowledge and experience with Central Michigan University business students during a panel discussion Friday.

The Sept. 13 event featured speeches from General Counsel of SEC Bob Stebbins and SEC Chairman Jay Clayton.

Stebbins gave a quick inside look to the SEC he called “SEC 101,” that highlighted its history and corporate structure.

“The commission origins really get traced back to the Great Depression and the stock market crash of 1929,” Stebbins said.

Clayton talked about market prices, environments that foster small business growth and teamwork. 

“There is a broad theme running through my remarks, or at least I hope you picked up on it and again it can be so ambiguous that you take it for granted, even though it has a mental value,” Clayton said. “It starts with what economists call signals, for communicating important information with those around you very efficient.”

Clayton explained the importance of signals for communicating with colleagues and building teamwork, comparing them to the motions and verbal signals that are used to communicate during a football game.

After the speeches, finance and law faculty member Max Dolinsky facilitated a panel with Clayton, Stebbins and Jon Voigtman, managing director and senior officer at RBC Capital Markets. Dolinsky said Stebbins and Voigtman are CMU alumni.

The panel discussed market prices, insider trade-ins, the state of the economy and much more.

“I liked the part where they talked about the public vs. private sector,” said Midland senior Stewart Zondlak. “As someone who’s in finance, part of the debate is, do you go personal finance or corporate finance? So hearing their opinions on it was very interesting.”

The students were also offered an opportunity to ask the panel questions on the topics discussed or other ones they were interested in.

“(Voigtman) is also the one who put this whole event together by connecting the dominos, by connecting the pieces,” said CMU President Bob Davies. “That is truly what a CMU degree does, it allows you to think outside the box and connect those commitments.”