From the student section: Fans give thoughts on new coach Jim McElwain

mcelwain

Jim McElwain claps his hands to encourage his team during CMU's 38-21 victory over Albany on Aug. 29 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Since Jim McElwain arrived in Mount Pleasant to take over the helm at Central Michigan, he has been all about giving the fans a winning product on the field.

He has also said that he wants people to pack Kelly/Shorts Stadium, especially the students.

The first-year coach said that playing in the stadium in front of friends, classmates and fans is one of the most important aspects of college football. So important that the Chippewas do not practice on the game field because playing there is a privilege, according to McElwain.

Another point of emphasis has been playing in front of the home fans.

"One of our goals has been to make this place somewhere people don't want to come and play," McElwain said. "We're responsible for the kind of football we play and the fans will get behind us." 

When the Chippewas secured a season-opening win over Albany, there was a spark of excitement from the fanbase. The loss on the road to Big Ten Conference foe Wisconsin the following week was forgettable but did not kill the intrigue of the team, or its new coach. 

In CMU's Mid-American Conference opener last Saturday, the fans wanted to get a first-hand peek of the new-look team and were treated to a 45-24 win over Akron in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The overall consensus has been positive for the former Colorado State and Florida head man, who now sit at 2-1 overall with the Chippewas.

"Absolutely way better than (former coach John Bonamego)," said Midland freshman Mark Fishman. "We can make a decent run, if we can pull six or seven games and go to a bowl game, our team could definitely win that bowl game. With the schedule and the talent on this team, that's realistic."

During the offseason, CMU Athletic Director Michael Alford said that he wanted to see improvement from last year. Joking that McElwain would at least double the win total from a season ago. That was accomplished in Week 3 against the Zips.

Improvement is all that Pemberville, Ohio senior Harold Dippman wants to see from CMU this season. 

"We hit a low point last year and the only direction we can go is up, and I think coach Mac is a good place to start with that," Dippman said. "It's a rebuilding year, I'd like to see six (wins), be bowl eligible. That'd be nice but that's a lot to overcome from last year with the low point we had last year."

Tyler Knoblock, a sophomore from Port Austin, was to the point on his feelings about last years' squad.

"They weren't real good last year but not bad this year," he said. 

Knoblock was also candid with his opinion on McElwain, expectations for the team and how they can get there.

"Better than (Bonamego), that's all I'm going to say," Knoblock said. "I think seven wins, and we get there by beating bad teams like Akron."

Talk from players during the offseason and in training camp was the change in energy. McElwain and his new staff brought a sense of urgency to the program, and it has been extrapolated into the game day experience. 

Shelby Township junior Alex Dixon said that he feels excited about the Chippewas this season, but he also added that last season's result is a lot to overcome in just one year.

"(I'm) feeling confident, bad season last season but confident we'll get more wins," Dixon said. "I'm excited: New coach, new quarterbacks, new offense. Tough week against Wisconsin but at the same time, we had a good showing against Akron.

"To be honest, I don't think it'll make a bowl game, but I'm looking for five wins."