What to watch for: Volleyball, field hockey aim to continue hot start, more

0f4a5077
Women's Volleyball head coach Mike Gawlik talks to his team during their 3-1 loss against Eastern Michigan University on Sept. 20 at McGuirk Arena.

More than one Central Michigan team got off to a hot start this week. 

As we move into the second week of the season, the Chippewas have opportunities to continue building on early success in multiple sports.

Football, field hockey, cross country, soccer and volleyball are all in action.

Here's what you need to know about each team this week:

Football: Sept 7 at No. 19 Wisconsin (3:30 p.m.)

The Chippewas and new coach Jim McElwain got things started great. A Week 1 win over Albany is a step in the right direction, but the test Wisconsin and Heisman Trophy hopeful Jonathan Taylor will bring are much harder.

Looking elsewhere in the Mid-American Conference, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois and Western Michigan all earned victories over Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) opponents.

Kent State lost to Arizona State, 30-7. Miami (Ohio) lost to No. 20 Iowa, 38-14. Toledo lost by two touchdowns against Kentucky, while Akron got steamrolled by Illinois, 42-3. Ball State lost to in-state rival Indiana, 34-24.

Field Hockey: Sept. 2 vs Saint Louis (11 a.m.), Sept 6 at Iowa (4 p.m.), Sept 7 against Columbia in Iowa City, Iowa (3 p.m.)

After a solid offensive outing in their season opener, the Chippewas will have three games this week. The coaching staff plans to showcase a much more aggressive system than in years before. Watch for Neve Dibley and Alice O’Hagan, as the freshmen scored in the season opener.

Cross Country: Sept. 6 in NIU Huskie Challenge

The Chippewas had a few top-five finishes and some good showings by freshmen in their first collegiate competition. The season is only beginning, and CMU will look to get better each week with a successful postseason in mind. Emily Shelton was the top finisher on the team last week for the women, placing fourth. On the men‘s side, Mark Beckmann finished third overall to lead the Chippewas.

Soccer: Sept. 6 vs Indiana State (7 p.m.), Sept. 8 vs IUPUI (1 p.m.)

Through two games, the Chippewas have yet not lost. Unfortunately, they haven’t won yet either. 

Central comes home for two games this weekend. Perhaps home-field advantage will help them find the win column. Riley Mann scored the first goal of the year for CMU against Northwestern and redshirt senior Zoie Reed continues to play well in between the posts.

Volleyball: Sept. 6-7 at Chippewa Invitational in Mount Pleasant

Eastern Illinois, North Dakota State and University of Illinois Chicago will be in town for the Chippewa Invitational. CMU’s first match will be against Eastern Illinois at 12:30 p.m. Sept 6. The season has started well for CMU, as the squad is unblemished at 3-0.

The Chippewas defeated Maryland-Eastern Shore (3-1), Saint Peter's University (3-0) and NJIT (3-0) last weekend in Brooklyn. 

Sophomore Maddie Whitfield and junior Lisbeth Rosario-Martinez have played well for the Chippewas this season and will try to continue that at the Chippewa Invitational.