Police identify toddler killed in Mount Pleasant mobile home fire

68413655_2338389223068907_2185627458714206208_n
A 2-year-old boy died in a fire at the Mount Pleasant Mobile Home Village Friday evening.

Mount Pleasant police have identified the 2-year-old boy who was killed in a mobile home fire in Mount Pleasant on Aug. 16.

Arthur Hughes, of Mount Pleasant, died in the fatal fire, which occurred at 505 S. Bradley Street Friday, Aug. 16, according to a news release issued by the Mount Pleasant Police Department. 

After more than two weeks of investigation, authorities ruled the fatal fire to be accidental. 

Mount Pleasant police and firefighters were dispatched to the structure fire around 6 p.m. on Aug. 16 and found the mobile home engulfed in flames, Mount Pleasant Police Officer Autume Balcom said

When officers arrived on scene, they were informed that someone was in the home. However, firefighters were not able to find the victim. 

Balcom said neighbors tried to enter the mobile home before officers arrived, but were unsuccessful due to heavy smoke inhalation. 

A man was treated at the scene for burns and smoke injuries, Balcom said.

Mount Pleasant police and firefighters were assisted on the scene by Isabella County Sheriff's Department, Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Fire Department, Michigan State Police, Central Michigan University Police, Isabella County Dispatch and Mobile Medical Response.

Arthur Hughes was born in Mount Pleasant on Oct. 14, 2016, to his parents, Trevor Hughes and Ashlea Genson, according to the 2-year-old's obituary. Nicknamed "Bubba," he was described as a loving and playful child who loved to wrestle, ride his bike and play video games with his dad. 

A memorial service was held for Arthur on Aug. 27 at Clark Family Funeral Chapel in Mount Pleasant.