CM Life alumna Nicole Yelland talks about student media experience

In a series of interviews, we asked our Alumni about their experiences at CM Life. Read on to see how Nicole Yelland shares her "Life Story."

nicoleyelland

In celebration of CM Life's upcoming 100 Year Anniversary, we asked alumna Nicole Yelland to reflect on her time at CM Life and how it helped her get prepared for the job she has today.

Q: How long were you here?

A: I was with CM Life in some capacity all four years, 2001 - 2005

Q: What position did you work in?

A: I went from being a random reporter to covering the business beat to a campus consultant for Sports Illustrated on Campus to an account executive on the ad side for CM Life. 

Q: What were some of the highlights or favorite memories while working for CM Life?

A: Some of my favorite memories are about the people - laughing at the crazy haunted house guy who didn't want to pay for his month-long ads (because he didn't want to), to sitting in Kathy's office asking for advice in life to moving from the scary Anspach basement to the bougie fourth floor of Moore hall and wondering how we ended up with such nice offices.

Q: How did your experience at CM Life influence your career?

A: Working at CM Life allowed me to connect with people outside the classroom who would later be my real-world colleagues and peers, the journalists I would pitch and my first professional network. I'm so thankful for my years at CM Life where I got to understand the media business and the people who are part of it better than I ever expected. 

Q: Do you still keep up with CM Life regularly?

A: I occasionally check in online to catch the latest, follow the latest promotions methods of the team through Facebook and I always pick up a copy when I'm on campus and can grab one.

Q: Where do you work now?

A: Until recently, I worked at General Motors in communications. I'm now doing freelance work for myself. 

Q: What advice would you give to current CM Lifers?

A: Be good to each other, get to know one-another and learn what each other does. You'll see each other in the real world soon so make sure you're the kind of person someone would be happy to see. 

The 100 Year Anniversary celebration will be at Soaring Eagle Casino and Conference Center on Nov. 16 at 5 p.m. Click here to purchase tickets. They must be purchased by Nov. 13 at 4 p.m. in order to attend.