Chastain: Jim McElwain brought in multiple quarterbacks, and it's paid off thus far

lrm-export-68475011144866-20190929-001949229

Central Michigan head coach Jim McElwain paces the sideline against Western Michigan Sept. 28 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo.

When Jim McElwain took over as coach of the Central Michigan football team last December, he wanted players on his team that were capable of winning.

He needed quarterbacks to fill a void the Chippewas had in 2018 after Shane Morris graduated the year prior. The likes of Tony Poljan, Tommy Lazzaro and Austin Hergott weren't enough.

Enter Quinten Dormady, David Moore and Daniel Richardson. 

Dormady came to Central Michigan as a double graduate transfer from Tennessee and Houston, although he only played in two games for the Cougars. He appeared in 16 games for the Volunteers and totaled 1,282 yards through the air in three seasons. 

Richardson was listed as a three-star recruit by 247Sports out of Miami Carol City High School and holds the Miami-Dade County career passing records for both yards (9,791) and touchdowns (116). He was a four-year starter and was named all-state three times. 

Some think he might be the future of the program, but he has not played in 2019 to gain an extra year of eligibility. He can play up to four games without burning his redshirt.

As for Moore, he enrolled at Memphis and lost the starting job in 2018 after spending two seasons with the Tigers. He then transferred to Garden City Community College in Kansas, showed up before the second game of the season and led the Broncbusters to an undefeated campaign. Garden City made an appearance in the NJCAA national championship before transferring to CMU.

Upon his arrival in Mount Pleasant, Moore was beat by Dormady for the starting job in a move many saw coming.

However, Moore got his chance when Dormady suffered a knee injury in the Chippewas' Week 2 game against Wisconsin. 

The following week, in his first game as the starter, Moore was brilliant. He completed 20 of 31 passes for 316 yards and two touchdowns in a 45-24 win over Akron. 

Even in Week 4 against Miami (Florida), Moore had his team in position to win the game in the final minute, but a desperation heave turned into an interception and a 17-12 loss to the Hurricanes.

Against Western Michigan, Moore threw for 330 yards and a touchdown in the Chippewas' 31-15 loss in Kalamazoo. CMU moved the ball well but mistakes cost the visitors the game.

Then, against Eastern Michigan, Moore threw for 279 yards and two touchdowns in CMU's 42-16 victory.

Moore did everything he needed to when Dormady was injured. 

But Dormady was beginning to make his way back to practice and worked with the second team while Moore ran with the first team prior to playing the Eagles. McElwain had a decision to make as to which quarterback he wanted to go with before the Chippewas' Week 6 matchup against New Mexico State.

The decision was made a lot more clear when Moore tested positive for a banned substance and was suspended by the NCAA. CMU cited the use of an over-the-counter nutritional supplement as the likely cause.

While Central Michigan is appealing the ruling, Moore will not be eligible to play. He will also lose a year of eligibility – if the suspension is upheld. 

Moore is still able to practice, although he did not on Tuesday, and Dormady took the reps with the first team. The junior returned to practice Wednesday.

Dormady looked healthy in practice this week and seemed to have no issue moving laterally and planting his foot to throw the ball.

McElwain said depth at the quarterback position is imperative, especially when guys are unable to play due to an injury or suspension. 

"To go through an entire season with your quarterback is hard," McElwain said. "You see it week in and week out, injuries can happen. Having options at that position is huge, and we'll see how it plays out."

Dormady was named the starter for the Chippewas' game against the Aggies, and the situation has come full circle as he has the starting job back. 

Should Dormady play well in his return, then it further proves that McElwain brought in the right guys for the job. 

Obviously, losing a player like Moore hurts the team, but McElwain is now able to have Dormady step into the fray. 

Just as Moore did in Week 2. 

Now, I'm not saying Dormady is a better quarterback than Moore, and I'm not saying Moore is better than Dormady. 

What I am getting at is the quarterback system McElwain brought in has worked the way it needed to in situations that could've been detrimental to the season.  

In 2018, the combined quarterback efforts of Poljan, Lazzaro and Hergott were less-than-adequate. That translated to the worst season in program history. 

Strong quarterback play is essential in the Mid-American Conference, and the Chippewas have the athletes that can job done. 

"It's a great thing to have to have depth at the quarterback position," said center Steve Eipper. "If one gets hurt, you know the next one is going to step up and do just as good of a job, if not better. It's pretty special.

"I believe in every one of our quarterbacks we have back there." 

While switching quarterbacks is not ideal for CMU, the team has multiple signal callers that can man the offense. 

With New Mexico State coming into town, I would expect to see the same explosive offense that was put on display in the 26-point victory against the Eagles.