Soccer held scoreless again in loss to Akron

lrm-export-82753524887583-20190908-162926721

Central Michigan goalkeeper Zoie Reed makes a save against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Sept. 8 at the CMU Sports Complex.

After a poor start and many missed opportunities, Central Michigan's soccer team finally found a chance to tie the game.

Freshman forward Cami Taylor sent the ball in the direction of the net, with it the optimism of the Chippewa faithful. 

It hit off the top post of the goal.

The ensuing header attempt off the rebound by junior forward Natalie Belsito missed wide. From then on, Akron was able to play keep away and snag a 1-0 victory over the Chippewas Sunday afternoon at the CMU Soccer Field.

"Not good," said coach Jeremy Groves of his team's performance. "Didn't show up, didn't perform, didn't try."

On an afternoon where the Chippewas outshot the Zips 17-6, it was the road team that made the most of their few opportunities. 

A goal from freshman midfielder Bailey Bowers at the 16:20 mark was the only score, meaning it was enough for Akron to secure a victory.

Sunday was the second-consecutive game in which the Chippewas have been shut out. 

Central Michigan has not scored a goal since senior midfielder Marle Bringard found the net at the 3:17 mark of its 1-1 tie on Oct. 20 against Kent State.

"This is like the third or fourth week now where we've tried a different approach, I don't understand why we're not getting a performance from people," Groves said. 

The first half saw the Zips score while the Chippewas were able to get only one shot on goal. 

"That first half was probably the worst spectacle I've ever seen on a soccer field in however long I've been doing this," Groves added in frustration. 

Junior midfielders Maddie West and Alina Miagkova each had two shots on goal for the Chippewas. Senior goalkeeper Zoie Reed made three saves. 

The Chippewas are winless since a 3-0 victory over Toledo on Oct 13th, leaving Groves in search of answers. 

"It's just so disappointing how we have young women who just don't want to show up and don't want to try and win," he said. "We were in such a great position before the game."

With the loss, the Chippewas fall to 7-4-4 on the season and currently sit in seventh place of the MAC standings. 

They take the field one last time at home when Eastern Michigan comes to town at 3 p.m .on Thursday.