Central Michigan Volleyball has four players earn conference awards after impressive weekend

dsc-0554-21

The women's volleyball team celebrates a point against opponent Ohio University on Saturday, Sept. 22 in McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan volleyball had another impressive weekend, winning each of its two road matches. 

With the wins, the Chippewas’ record now stands at 11-2. 

"It was a great weekend for us," said head coach Mike Gawlik. "Winning two road matches is growth from this team."

Gawlik also noted that he expected his players to be recognized for their performances over the weekend by the Mid-American Conference. 

He was correct. 

Four players earned awards from the conference Monday afternoon. Megan Kern, Kendall Braate, Grace Butler, and Megan Sivertsen each won awards, giving the Chippewas a clean sweep of the awards given out weekly by the MAC West division. 

For Kern, the senior libero, it was her second straight Defensive Player of the Week Award. Over the weekend, Kern had a total of 37 digs in the two wins. She also contributed 10 assists. 

"Meg Kern really anchored our defensive effort for a second weekend in a row," said Gawlik. 

Kendall Braate and Grace Butler were named MAC Co-Setters of the Week for the second week in a row. Butler, a junior, contributed 34 assists and 14 digs over the two games while the sophomore Braate had 42 assists. 

Gawlik is pleased to have not one, but two solid setters on his team. Having both Braate and Butler allows CMU to operate with another attacker on its frontline, which is vital.

"They're both extremely talented," Gawlik said of the tandem. "Having both Grace and Kendall, who are both setting a good ball, makes us very difficult to defend."

Braate also recognized the contributions of the numerous passers the Chippewas feature. 

"Its not one of us, its both of us," said Braate last week. "It also shows how well our hitters are hitting. If they don't kill our balls then we don't get recognized." 

Sivertsen was named Offensive Player of the Week. A sophomore from Virginia Beach, Virginia, she contributed 17 kills for the Chippewas over the two-game stretch. Against Western Michigan, Sivertsen had seven blocks. 

"I thought she played one hell of a match," Gawlik said of Sivertsen's performance against the rival Broncos. "As an attacker for us she was lights out."

The Chippewas keep their seven-match win streak on the road to face Eastern Michigan at 7 p.m. on Oct. 3 in the EMU Convocation Center.