What's happening at the Oct. 14 city commission meeting

stockbordenbuilding-2

The sun sets on City Hall in this 2019 file photo from downtown Mount Pleasant.

The next Mount Pleasant City Commission Meeting will be at 7 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 14. A lot will be happening at the meeting, with there being around 30 items on the agenda. Here are some of the key parts of the agenda:

· Mayor Will Joseph will present a proclamation of Indigenous People’s Day, which is on Oct. 14 of this year. Mount Pleasant City Manager, Nancy Ridley, said there will also be a drum ceremony from representatives of the Saginaw-Chippewa Indian Tribe.

· There will be two public hearings on the Parcel B project, a piece of property next to City Hall. Currently, a project with a mix of commercial and residential use is being planned on the property. Ridley said the hearings regard tax abatements, with would cut taxes in half for 15 years for the residential portions of the project, and 12 years for the commercial portions.

· The commissioners will hold a public session after the meeting to discuss the 2020 Operating Budget.

· There will also be a presentation of the Mount Pleasant 2050 Master Plan draft at the meeting, which will be presented by McKenna & Associates.

· The commission will consider the approval of a fireworks display on Dec. 7 for this year’s Christmas parade.