Crime Log: CMU police assist FBI with investigation of Reddit threats

Police investigate report of fondling at Kelly/Shorts stadium

Central Michigan University police cars parked outside the CMU police station on September 12, 2018.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 30 through Oct. 14.

Sept. 30

CMU police assisted the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the investigation of an person who allegedly made threatening posts on Reddit. Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said the suspect, a 20-year-old man, had posted threats to "burn down Reddit" on the website. CMU police assisted the FBI in locating the man in an off-campus residence. Officers made contact with the man, who admitted to sending the message but said it wasn't a serious threat. Police did not press criminal charges against the man.

Oct. 1

Police handled a case of retail fraud at 1 p.m. in the Woldt market. A 22-year-old woman stole a handful of items valued at $11 from the residential hall market, police said. Police made contact with the woman, who admitted to stealing chips, Pop-Tarts, pop and a brownie. No criminal charges were pressed against the woman, and the case was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct. 

CMUPD handled a suspicious situation involving an 18-year-old woman in Campbell Hall. Police said the woman was contacted by an individual through her phone, who claimed her Snapchat account belonged to him. The individual attempted to get the woman to pay him money, but she refused, Wassman said. Police do not know who the suspect is, and the case remains under investigation.

Oct. 4

CMU police handled another fraud complaint at 5:12 p.m. in an ongoing investigation of fraudulent email scams. This is the fourth reported incident since Sept. 20 where someone has received emails about internship opportunities that were later determined to be fraudulent. In the most recent case, a 19-year-old man reported receiving an internship opportunity that required him to purchase blank checks. The man brought the blank checks to the bank, which raised red flags for bank staff and the request was denied. Police have not identified any suspects in the ongoing case, which remains under investigation. 

Oct. 5

A 23-year-old man was arrested at 3 p.m. in Lot 63 after obstructing police during the tailgate of the Central Michigan vs. Eastern Michigan football game. Police observed the man urinating on trees, Wassman said. After police made contact with the man, he ran away from the officers. The man was arrested for resisting and obstructing police and was taken to Isabella County Jail. 

Police handled a fondling report at 4:48 p.m. at Kelly/Shorts stadium during the Central Michigan vs. Eastern Michigan football game. A 20-year-old man was allegedly sexually assaulted by a 20-year-old woman, who grabbed the man's genitals in the stadium, police said. The incident was reported to police by a third party, Wassman said. When police made contact with the individuals, the man did not want to press charges against the woman. Police told the woman to leave the stadium, and she left willingly. However, the woman's friend, a 23-year-old woman, became disruptive and began swearing repeatedly at police. After the 23-year-old woman refused to leave the stadium, she was arrested for disorderly conduct and taken to the Isabella County Jail. 

Oct. 6

A 23-year-old woman reported property damage to her car that occurred during the Oct. 5 football game. The woman reported scratches and dents to her car, totaling $200 in damage. There are no known suspects in the incident. 

Police investigated a domestic violence report that is believed to have occurred around 10 p.m. Oct. 5 in Emmons Hall. Wassman said an 18-year-old woman was taken to the hospital with injuries consistent with domestic violence. However, the victim and witnesses claimed the incident was not domestic violence. The suspect is a 19-year-old man. Police said alcohol was a factor in the incident. The prosecutor's office and the Office of Student Conduct are investigating the incident.

An unknown suspect stole a drink valued at $2.19 from the P.O.D. market in the Towers around 1 a.m., police said. Although police do not have any suspects yet, video surveillance tracked the suspect to Cobb Hall. The incident remains under investigation. 

Oct. 7

Police handled a larceny report at 4:30 p.m. involving the theft of clothing from Kewadin Village Apartments, 301 W. Broomfield St. A 24-year-old woman left clothing and bedding in the laundry room, and when she came back, it was gone. The stolen clothing is valued at $100. There are no suspects yet, and the incident remains under investigation.

Oct. 8

Police conducted a medical assist around 2 p.m. at the Student Activity Center. The front desk at the SAC reported a 33-year-old homeless man who would not leave the lobby. The man told police he had not eaten or slept in a number of days. The man was transported to the MidMichigan Medical Center in Mount Pleasant. 

CMUPD responded to a suicide attempt at 4 p.m. in a wooded area near CMU's campus.

Oct. 9

Police handled a larceny report that occurred on Oct. 5 at 2250 East Campus Dr. The victim, a 22-year-old man, reported that several items were stolen from his car, including a laptop, backpack and jewelry. The stolen items were valued at $1,500. CMUPD located a suspect, a 19-year-old man, who Wassman said is not a student and resides in a different town. The victim told police he knows the suspect and did not wish to pursue criminal charges against the suspect.

Police received a fraud complaint from the CentralCard Office involving a 22-year-old male student who allowed other individuals to use his meal plan. The office reported the incident to police after finding out the man, who has an unlimited meal plan, was allowing other individuals to use his CentralCard for meals. CMUPD has not followed up on the incident yet.

CMU police handled a forgery report at 3:30 p.m. at the CMU Bookstore in the Bovee University Center. Police were called in after a 17-year-old boy attempted to use a fake $20 bill at the store. The boy, who was a visitor on CMU's campus, told police he got the bill from someone else. He had other $20 bills in his possession, which were determined not to be counterfeit. Police did not arrest the 17-year-old. 

Police are investigating a larceny report that occurred in Celani Hall. The theft was reported at 7:30 p.m. and is still under investigation. Wassman was not able to provide any details at this time.

CMUPD assisted Child Protective Services at 7:30 p.m. in an investigation at Kewadin Apartments. No arrests were made in the incident. Police could not release any further details about the case since it is being handled by CPS. 

Oct. 12

A 20-year-old man was arrested for disorderly conduct at 1:30 p.m. during the tailgate for the Central Michigan vs. New Mexico State football game. The man was observed urinating in public near trees in Lot 63, police said. CMU police attempted to make contact with the man, who then lied about being 21 years old. The man was arrested and taken to Isabella County Jail.

Another man was observed urinating in public at 2:30 p.m. in Lot 63. The man, 24, was arrested for disorderly conduct by CMUPD and taken to Isabella County Jail.

Police handled a larceny report at 3 a.m. of a stolen bike at Celani Hall. The stolen bike, valued at $100, belonged to an 18-year-old woman. CMU police are using video surveillance to identify a suspect. The incident remains under investigation.

A 23-year-old man was arrested for trespassing at 11 p.m. at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel, 2400 East Campus Dr. CMU police were dispatched to the hotel on the report of a disorderly person in the hotel lobby. Officers made contact with the man and told him to go back to his room, but the man allegedly refused. Police arrested the man and took him to Isabella County Jail. 

Oct. 13

Police are investigating an illegal entry report in Celani Hall that occurred at 5:51 a.m. Oct. 13. An individual reportedly entered an unlocked dorm room in Celani Hall. The suspect did not steal anything. The incident was reported by a female resident of the room. The incident remains under investigation by CMU police.

Police investigated a separate report of entry without force in Celani Hall at 11 a.m. Oct. 13. An unknown individual entered a room, stole a bowl of candy and left, police said. The reporting party is an 18-year-old woman. Police are conducting interviews to find a suspect, and the case remains under investigation.

CMU police assisted Michigan State Police with an investigation at 9 p.m. Police attempted to locate an individual at 4205 Collegiate Way. 

Police received a report at 3 p.m. of malicious destruction of property that reportedly occurred Oct. 12 in Lot 63. A female victim called CMU police to report damage to her 2020 Equinox.