Crime Log: Man arrested for drunk driving after car stuck on railroad tracks

9eaf6427-e1e0-4743-b722-6261ffe60d63

A police cruiser sits outside the Central Michigan University Police Department building on Oct. 28. (Melissa Frick | Senior Reporter)

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department from Oct. 21-28.

Oct. 21

A 21-year-old woman was arrested for driving while intoxicated after she was pulled over for having a headlight out. Police stopped the vehicle at 10:24 p.m. on West Campus Drive and Preston Street. The female driver appeared to be under the influence of drugs, said Lt. Cameron Wassman, of CMUPD. Police found 1.2 ounces of marijuana and a bag of 10 small, white pills in the vehicle, which the woman reported was Adderall. The woman was taken to Isabella County Jail. 

Oct. 22

Police investigated a larceny case involving a stolen bike at 2 p.m. at Grawn Hall. A 22-year-old man, whose bike was previously stolen from his Main Street residence, reportedly found his stolen bike by Grawn Hall. The man contacted police and verified the bike belonged to him. Investigators viewed video surveillance of the area, but have not yet found any suspects. The case remains under investigation.

Police conducted a welfare check of a 20-year-old woman after a faculty member reported her concern for the student. The woman was taken to McLaren Central Michigan for a mental health evaluation.

Oct. 23

Police are investigating the report of a non-aggravated assault that occurred at 1 a.m. in Trout Hall. The incident, which was reported by hall staff to police on Oct. 25, involved an 18-year-old woman who reportedly struck an 18-year-old man with a belt. Police have determined the case is not a domestic incident because there is no relationship between the offender and the victim. The incident remains under investigation. 

Police received the report of suspicious activity near the Charles V. Park Library during a traffic stop at 3:08 a.m. at 2240 West Campus Dr. A 19-year-old woman was pulled over by police when she informed CMUPD that she was followed by a man in the parking lot of the library on the evening of Oct. 22. The woman told police the suspect was a white man reportedly wearing black clothing. Police received a report the following day from another woman who had a similar experience in the library parking lot that night. Wassman said the case remains under investigation. 

A 22-year-old woman was arrested for improper registration and operating without insurance during a traffic stop at 11 p.m. on Elva Street and Broomfield Street. The woman was pulled over by police for running a red light, Wassman said. When officers made contact with the female driver, she admitted to having no insurance and invalid registration. The woman was taken to Isabella County Jail. 

Oct. 24

Police investigated a suspicious situation at 12:45 a.m. involving a woman, 18, who believed her photo was being used on a sex trafficking website. The woman reported that she had looked herself up online and found the photo of herself, in which she was fully clothed. The photo was reportedly attached to obscure links and led to a website for patio furniture. The woman told police that her friends thought it was a sex-trafficking website, with an IP address that led to Japan. Wassman said there was no indication that it was a sex-trafficking website, but police advised the woman to keep an eye on her social media. 

A 19-year-old man reported fraudulent activity that occurred on Oct. 22 in Sweeney Hall. The man told police he received a check and was advised to send back money for a modeling contract. After sending the money, the man reportedly realized it was a scam. Wassman said the total loss was over $700. No suspects have been identified in the incident.

An 18-year-old woman reported another case of fraudulent activity involving her credit card at 7 p.m. in Cobb Hall. The woman told police that another person, a female juvenile, had used the victim's credit card to purchase Uber rides. The incident remains under investigation. 

Police handled two separate cases of retail fraud in the Kessler Hall market in the Towers residential halls. The first case, which reportedly occurred at 1 a.m. on Oct. 23 but was reported the next day, involved an unidentified suspect who stole a box of condoms valued at $4.29 from the market. In the next case, another unidentified suspect stole a pair of scissors valued at $2.49 from the market at 2:10 p.m. on Oct. 24. In both cases, police have reviewed video surveillance but have not identified any suspects.

Oct. 27

A 19-year-old man was arrested for driving under the influence of liquor at 3:26 a.m. on Broomfield Street and Washington Street. Police were dispatched to the scene on the report of a vehicle that was stuck on the railroad tracks. The male driver told dispatchers he had lost control of his vehicle while turning, and that the warning lights on the tracks were flashing. Police arrived at the scene and found the lights were not flashing and there was not a train coming. The man appeared intoxicated and reportedly had a blood alcohol concentration of .15. He was arrested and taken to Isabella County Jail. 

CMUPD conducted a welfare check at 11 a.m. after a faculty member reported concern about a student. Police made contact with the student, an 18-year-old woman, and determined the woman appeared to be OK. 

Police are investigating a larceny report involving vending machines in Moore Hall. Building staff reported the machine was damaged and about $50 worth of product was stolen. The incident remains under investigation by CMUPD.