Rain causes flooding in Northwest Apartments; city parks remain open

A resident wades through a five inch puddle of water around midnight Oct. 1 at Northwest Apartments. 

Mount Pleasant was battered by heavy rainfall the night of Oct. 1, causing flooding in multiple parking lots and creating a small pond in the courtyard of Central Michigan University's Northwest Apartments.

"It was deep water. It came up to at least your ankles," said Oak Park sophomore and Northwest resident Adrienne Johnson. "I was worried about the water getting into the apartment."

Some residents waded through the water for fun while Resident Assistants knocked on doors asking residents to lay towels in the threshold in case water levels climbed any higher.

According to Parks and Public Spaces Director Chris Bundy, the parking lot at Horizon Park is temporarily closed, but none of the parks around the Chippewa River have experienced damage or closures.

The weekly farmer's market, located at Island Park, is making adjustments due to minor flooding behind the Pavilion. Some vendors will be displaced, and shoppers may have to park farther away from the park.

"Based on the forecast and what we've experienced so far, we don't anticipate having to close any of the parks," Bundy said. "But if the forecast changes ... you never know."

In June 2017, a major flood caused damage to streets, parks, buildings, the water plant, and the wastewater treatment plant. The damage cost the city of Mount Pleasant an estimated $6.1 million

The flooding also damaged the CMU Student Activities Center and McGuirk, costing the university $7-$10 million in repair costs.

When the Chippewa River exceeds eight feet, minor flooding could occur causing damage to yards, roads, bike paths and the parks surrounding the river, Bundy said.

"We go through spring flooding almost every year," he said. "But that's what our parks do, they take the hit for the community."