CMU to celebrate World Mental Health Day on Oct. 10

Central Michigan University's new counseling center activity room in on Sept. 7 in Foust 135. 

Central Michigan University wants to spread awareness about the importance of self-care Thursday, Oct. 10 for World Mental Health Day. 

World Mental Health Day was established in 1992 and has been observed on Oct. 10 every year by the World Health Organization.

“Your mental health matters just as much as your physical health,'' said Michelle Bigard, associate director of the CMU counseling center. “You are not alone, and we are here to help you”.

There are counseling resources available to the students at CMU, and World Mental Health Day is meant to celebrate these resources and spread the importance of self-care for students. 

Pop-Up De-stress Zone

7:30 a.m. to midnight

There will be a quiet de-stress zone on the second floor of the Charles V. Park Library with a meditative labyrinth walk, board games, legos and sticker painting. Therapy dogs will also be there from 1-3 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.

“Share how you take care”

10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Graffiti boards will be set up around campus for anyone to stop and write how they take care of their mental health. Boards will be located at Grawn Hall, the Health Professions Building, Park Library, the Education and Human Services building and the Student Activities Center.

Mental Health Knock Down

11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

SAPA and CARE Team are coming together in a tabling event to provide games, resources and information at the Down Under Food Court in Bovee University Center. 

“Living your best life”

11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

Graduate students in the psychology department are giving presentations at three different times in Health Professions building room 2150. The sessions are 11 a.m. to noon, 1-2 p.m., and 3:30-4:30 p.m.

Hopeful Heart 

11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

CMU Care Advocates are providing quick and easy creative activities outside each of the residential restaurants. Stop by and have fun!

“I am resilient”

Noon-1:30 p.m.

A tabling event will be put on by the counseling center to help identify sources of resilience in your life. Stop by the Music Building and learn about your strength!

“Keep calm and carry on when taking tests”

12:30 to 1:30 p.m.

Sponsored by the Counseling Center, a presentation will provide some test-taking tips for those who struggle with test-taking anxiety in Park Library room 118.

Drumming Circle

3-4 p.m. 

Eight drums will be set up in the main hallway in the SAC. Drum away your anxiety with the sweet rhythm provided by the Counseling Center. No drumming experience necessary! Drop by and stay as long as you want.

Meet the Mental Health Alliance

3-6 p.m.

A tabling event will be hosted by the Mental Health Alliance between Pearce and Anspach Hall. 

Create Your Vision Board 

3-9 p.m.

Stop by and design your own vision board with magazines and collage at the SAC. Sponsored by CMCREW and Collegiate Recovery Education and Wellness. 

Scented Sauna & “Swim Away Stress”

4-9 p.m.

Hosted by University Recreation, stop by and relax in aromatherapy oils in the sauna and enjoy open swim time as long as you’d like in the SAC.

Black Minds Matter Panel Discussion

5-7 p.m.

Sponsored by the Organization for Black Unity, experience a mediated discussion about removing the stigma around reaching out for support in Pearce Hall room 128.

Free Fitness Classes 

5:30-6:15 p.m. Barre Fitness (Rose 134) 

6:30-7:15 p.m. Cycling (Cycling room)

Sponsored by University Recreation, experience a combination of ballet-inspired moves with elements of Pilates, dance, yoga and strength training. Then shift gears and peddle your worries away with a cycling class in the SAC. The classes have limited space.

Rest, Relax, Refuel Pop-Up

Residential Life Fitness and Wellness will guide students in a miniature meditation and relaxation session in each residential community.

6:30-6:40pm (Towers Lobby) 

6:50-7pm (Sweeney Lobby) 

7:15-7:30pm (Woldt Lobby) 

7:35-7:50pm (Saxe, Herrig, Celani Lobby) 

8:10-8:20pm (Robinson Lobby) 

8:30-8:40pm (Larzelere Lobby)