By the numbers: The whirlwind journey of Central Michigan's senior class

lrm-export-321778845400631-20191019-213329233

Central Michigan running back Jonathan Ward (5) celebrates with offensive lineman Luke Goedeke (67) after scoring a touchdown against Bowling Green Oct. 19 at Doyt L. Perry Stadium in Bowling Green.

Central Michigan is aware of the stakes that Friday’s contest with Toledo poses. A win will snap a nine-game losing streak to the Rockets and send them to the Mid-American Conference championship as winners of the MAC West Division. 

Another storyline is the fact of Friday is senior day.

“Looking forward to senior day,” said coach Jim McElwain, “with some seniors who have been through a lot and have committed to having an excellent year so far.” 

Here’s a look at some numbers that define the Central Michigan senior class:

15: The number of seniors that will be honored Friday afternoon. 

2: Two quarterbacks, Tommy Lazzaro and Quinten Dormady, will be honored. Neither began their career with the Chippewas. Lazzaro transferred to Mount Pleasant after one season with Dodge City Community College, while Dormady came from Houston.

2: Only running back Jonathan Ward and kicker Kaden Keon will be honored as true, four-year seniors. Each of the other 13 seniors took at least one redshirt season and have exercised the entirety of their college eligibility. 

6: This season is Dormady’s sixth season in college football. He spent the first four seasons of his career at Tennessee before taking a graduate transfer opportunity to Houston. An injury allowed him to take a medical redshirt, granting him a sixth season that he elected to use at Central Michigan. 

6: Kicker Ryan Tice, quarterbacks Lazzaro and Dormady, offensive lineman Oge Udeogu, defensive end Sean Adesanya and running back Thaddeus Cornick started their careers at other locations before transferring to Central Michigan. Cornick came from Edinboro University. This season is the first at CMU for both Dormady and Udeogu. 

22: The Chippewas have won 22 games over the last four years, with only one of those wins coming last season. The 1-11 season was the worst in program history. 

0: This senior class has never won a bowl game while playing in just two. Central Michigan has not won a bowl game since a triumph over Western Kentucky in the 2012 Little Caesers Bowl, which is now the Quick Lane Bowl. 

2,399: Ward has run for 2,399 yards in his career. He’s also ran for 27 touchdowns, which ranks eighth-best in school history. 

The senior day contest between the Chippewas and Rockets is set to kick off at noon Friday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

These are the 15 seniors that will be honored:

DL Sean Adesanya
RB Romello Ross
RB Jonathan Ward
DB Da'Quaun Jamison
QB Tommy Lazzaro
LB Michael Oliver
QB Quinten Dormady
K Ryan Tice
P Kaden Keon
RB Thaddeus Cornick
DL D'Andre Dill
OL Steve Eipper
OL Oge Udeogu
OL Clay Walderzak
WR Cameron Cole