Dallas Morgan steps into starting lineup, leads Central Michigan to fourth-straight win

imr8499-1

Central Michigan guard Dallas Morgan plays defense after scoring a three-pointer on a fast break Nov. 18 at McGuirk Arena. 

Dallas Morgan caught a pass on the left wing and connected on a 3-pointer, hitting nothing but the net.

Morgan, a senior guard, hit the long ball seven times throughout the Central Michigan men's basketball team's 115-56 win over Siena Heights on Monday in McGuirk Arena. 

On top of the big shooting performance, Morgan scored a career-high 27 points in the big win for the Chippewas (4-0). 

Morgan said that his mind just turns to hitting those open shots when he sees them come along. 

"It's something I work on before the game and after practice," Morgan said. "That's one of those things I know how to do. I got it going tonight, Dave (DiLeo) hit me a couple times and I was able to knock shots down.

"Credit to my teammates."

Senior guard Kevin McKay sits on the bench during a game against Siena Heights because of an undisclosed injury Nov. 18 at McGuirk Arena.

Morgan stepped into the starting lineup to replace fellow senior guard Kevin McKay, who did not play against the Saints due to an undisclosed injury. 

Coach Keno Davis said McKay is day-to-day and unsure if he will play the Chippewas' next game Thursday at Minnesota. 

As mainly the sixth man last season, Morgan played the role well as he came off the bench when needed behind guards Larry Austin Jr. and Shawn Roundtree Jr. 

Morgan said that the two, especially Austin, taught him a lot as he progressed through his junior season, his first at Central Michigan. 

"Just bringing energy," Morgan said. "I know that became my role coming off the bench last year, bringing energy to the team. Even this year as well. My role really hasn't changed much but my job is to come in here and bring energy for the team everyday." 

Central Michigan as a team hit 17 triples throughout the game with Morgan's seven. He also added four rebounds and an assist while making a few hustle plays the would not show up on the score board, but helped the team. 

Coach Keno Davis said the big performance is the norm for Morgan, who appeared in all 35 games last season for Central Michigan and making five starts. 

"It's not a whole lot new for him" Davis said. "He's been coming in about a minute-and-a-half into the game, so he's been like a sixth-starter."

In all three of Central Michigan's games this season, the Chippewas had started off slowly. But the Chippewa offense, led by Morgan, started strong and dominated much of the game. 

Central Michigan forward Rob Montgomery slam dunks on a fast break against Siena Heights Nov. 18 at McGuirk Arena.

Senior forward Rob Montgomery said that Morgan's performance was integral for the Chippewas' success and will be important going forward. 

"It was huge," Montgomery said. "We look to Dallas to come in off the bench, or in this case start, and give us a spark. Whether off the bench or starting, we feed off his energy and we need that every game." 

While the Chippewas trailed by just one point with 9:55 to play in the first half, the team never wavered and continued to shoot the basketball. 

Central Michigan was able to utilize the press throughout the night and was able to extend the lead as the first half drew to a close and kept pushing the lead in the second half. 

A big part of the big night for the Chippewas was their press and the ability to push the basketball on the offensive end. 

Central Michigan was able to force 23 turnovers and score 46 points off those takeaways. Conversely, the Chippewas scored 33 fast-break points. 

"In our four games, by the end of the game we seem like the fresher team," Davis said. "That's a good sign because as we work on our execution as a team, we need to have that intensity and that kind of stamina to pull away from teams late in games." 

Montgomery finished with 17 points and five rebounds on a night he shot 50% from the floor and from 3-point range. Montgomery said his night was based off of what he does each day.

"Just playing hard," he said. "Taking what they're giving me and not forcing anything. Devontae (Lane) and (Deschon) Winston did a good job of finding me, so I've got to give credit to my teammates on that." 

In the second half alone, the Chippewas shot 78% from beyond the arc and finished shooting 53% from 3-point range against the Saints. 

Six different Chippewas finished in double figures as junior guards Travon Broadway Jr. and Devontae Lane had 15 and 10, respectively. 

Senior guard Corey Redman added 11 points while redshirt freshman guard P.J. Mitchell added a quick 10 points in the game's final stages. 

The Chippewas hit the road for the first time this season when they take on the Golden Gophers at 8 p.m. Thursday in Williams Arena in Minneapolis, Minnesota. 

A young fan congratulates the Central Michigan Men's Basketball Team after a 115-58 win against Siena Heights Nov. 18 at McGuirk Arena.