Kyra Bussell earns MAC West Player of the Week honors

Junior forward Kyra Bussell walks down the floor during Central Michigan's Nov. 21 game against Dayton in McGuirk Arena.

Kyra Bussell has been named the Mid-American Conference West Division Player of the Week.

Bussell, a junior forward, won the award following the first week of the season and claimed it for a second time this year after a dominant week for the Central Michigan women’s basketball team. 

The Chippewas defeated Northeastern 79-63 and then over the weekend defeated Marist 77-54, both games were at home.

Bussell, a Grand Rapids native, was instrumental in both wins by leading the team with 20 points against NU to go along with seven rebounds. Against Marist, she had finished with 18 points, seven rebounds and three assists.

She has been a leader on the court this season for the Chippewas and is averaging 16.5 points per game and 7.8 rebounds per game, both of which are career-highs.

Bussell ranks second on the team and sixth in the conference by scoring 16.5 points per game and leads the team in field goal percentage at .513. 

Buffalo's Theresa Onwuka and Ohio's Amani Burke were both honored in the East Division.  

Next up, the Chippewas cap off their four-game home stand with a matchup against Iona at 7 p.m. Thursday before traveling to South Dakota State on Saturday. The Jackrabbits rank No. 13 in the Mid-Major poll.